Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Devil's Pawn by M. J. Macie


Title: The Devil’s Pawn
Author: M. J. Macie
ISBN – 978-1441462138
Length: 326 Pages
Genre: Suspense

THE BOOK: THE DEVIL'S PAWN A Novelist discovers that a stranger who has learned her secret is stalking her. A journalist plans to destroy a man's life to find his own in danger. A coed waits in a seedy motel room fearing for her life, while a language professor fights to keep her sanity. What do these four people have in common? Each is a pawn in an egotistical killer's game. Robin Wilder struggles to heal from a tragedy that traumatized her life and compelled her to flee her hometown. She settles in the quaint town of Heritage, South Carolina, and spends the next four years living the pretense of an ordinary life as a novelist and creative writing instructor. However, Robin's facade unravels when someone murders her fiance then begins threatening her life. After a student's warning leads to the young woman's murder, Robin realizes she must confront her past and find the killer before she, or someone else she cares about, becomes the next victim.


ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Born and raised in Buffalo, New York, M.J. Macie resides in South Carolina with her husband and family. She began her writing career as a reporter for a local news publication and is currently working on her second novel while writing freelance articles. M.J. is a graduate of Charleston Southern University where she earned a bachelor's degree in English Literature. You can visit her on the web at: http://m.j.macie.googlepages.com

MY THOUGHTS: For all of those readers who love the Suspense genre, and for those who just dabble in it from time-to-time, you’re going to enjoy M. J. Macie’s new book, The Devil’s Pawn. I’m a hard reviewer when it comes to this genre because I feel that so many books fail to deliver the key element, sustainable suspense. You won’t find that to be the case with The Devil’s Pawn.

The author sets up the story with patience and skill, placing all the characters in just the right shadow or light to hinder the reader’s ability to figure out the plot before it develops. This is one who-done-it that you won’t be able to name the killer in the first 10 pages.

Anger, fear, panic, terror—you’ll live these escalating emotions along with the protagonist, Robin Wilder, as she falls deeper and deeper under the killer’s control. Be sure to read this one with all the lights on…

Favorite Quote:
“Then, when I realized I could use it to push you to the brink of insanity, I decided to find a way to do the same thing to Dixie.”



A complimentary review copy was provided by the Author.

GIVEAWAY: J. M. Macie is generously offering a free copy of her book to one of our readers. To qualify, you must be a blog follower, and you need to leave a comment telling us why you like to read Suspense. Be sure to include your email address so we can contact you if you're chosen as our winner. Deadline is December  23rd.
Giveaway is limited to residents of the US and Canada.

9 comments:

  1. I love suspense when it's well written and keeps me on the edge of the my seat. I love to see lead characters face their fears in a time of stress and challenge--and overcome evil. We all fear evil--reading suspense helps us face these fears by proxy! I'd love to win a copy of this book-- The review is great!

    Entry address info:
    danithorne at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy a little bit of suspense in most of the books I read. Life is suspenseful, so should the books we read. It can add a little bit of spice, the same way sex does in erotic romance, in any book we read. I really enjoyed your review. The Devil's Pawn sounds like a great read.

    Judy (magnolias_1@msn.com)
    I am also a follower!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like suspense as it gives you anticpation and hopefully some mystery to try to figure out!
    I am a follower. This book sounds interesting! Thanks for a chance to win. mesreadsATgmailDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am a follower as HODGEPODGESPV.
    Why? to escape. to see if i can figure out the end before i get there. oh, poop, let's be honest...i just want to have fun and enjoy myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love suspense especially if it keeps me at the edge of my seat and makes my heart race.

    melissa(at)gingerhigh(dot)com

    I am a follower

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a follower.

    dsandyboy@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a follower. walkerd@primus.ca

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much to everyone who left a comment. I really enjoyed hearing why you like mystery/suspense. Now to announce our winner.

    Congratulations go to Judy.
    Judy, I'll be sending you an email shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much!! I can't wait to read The Devil's Pawn.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete