Saturday, January 23, 2010

A Black Tie Affair by Sherrill Bodine

A Black Tie Affair 
by Sherrill Bodine
240 pages
ISBN-10: 0446618594
ISBN-13: 978-0446618595

About The Book: Fashion curator Athena Smith will do anything to get her perfectly manicured hands on the Clayworth family's celebrated couture collection for her exhibit. So when she's called in to make sure the gowns are the real deal, she's ecstatic...until a dress she's examining turns out to be loaded with toxins (talk about killer threads!) and Athena faints, only to wake up face-to-face with the One That Got Away, notorious Chicago bachelor Drew Clayworth.

Drew still believes Athena betrayed him all those years ago, and he's sure he can't trust her. But when the priceless gowns go missing, she offers to help track them down. Reluctantly allied in the quest, Drew and Athena are soon stunned by the barely restrained passion still sizzling between them...and memories both bitter and sweet. Is their new partnership just a business arrangement? Or is this something more than...

My Thoughts:  Athena Smith's excursion to the Clayworth Secret Closet located under an Illinois soybean field begins this story and sets us on a skin-tingling romp through couture fashion and intrigue. And since there is some old, unfinished business, of the romantic kind, between her and Drew Clayworth, it doesn't help that she ends up hospitalized with hallucinations after having entered the Secret Closet to examine a dress collection. Then, to her horror and that of the Clayworth's, the dresses are stolen.

This is a smooth read, but I must warn you, a lot of loose ends are left dangling. I can only imagine that the author intends to tie them up in a forthcoming book. We'll have to wait and see. It's a light mixture of romance with a little mystery.

A complimentary review copy of this book was provided by the Hatchett Book Group.


GIVEAWAY 
You must live in the US or Canada and be a blog follower to win.
Winners will be randomly chosen.
Cannot ship to  P.O. Boxes
Deadline is February 20th
I have 5 copies to give away with thanks to Hachette Books.
Here's how this works.
1. Leave a comment telling what your favorite museum excursion was.
2. Be sure to include your email so you can be contacted if you're chosen as one of our winners.

WINNERS:
Watch for notification in your email
Laura
Martha Lawson
Anne
Darcie K.
Anonymous

21 comments:

  1. I love your review of this and would love to win a copy. My favorite museum excursion was at the British Museum in London. I am a huge anglophile and to see all of that history in the exhibits was fantastic.
    Laura
    laura.leahj@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic cover! Love that purple dress! Sounds like a wonderful read.

    One of my favorite museum trips was back when I was in the sixth grade. My parents took me to the Will Rogers Museum and the La Braea Tar Pits in Los Angeles. It was so much fun seeing the cowboy memoribilia and the fossils. If I remember right, I think there was a window where we could see the scientists cleaning bones. Fun times! lol

    I'll be crossing my fingers. :) thelovestrucknovice@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been to a musuem!! Isn't that sad.. I'd love to visit one tho..

    I am a new follower.

    mlawson17 at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. sherrillbodine@hotmail.comJanuary 23, 2010 at 11:46 PM

    Hi All, I love museums too! One of my favorite is the Victoria and Albert in London -- besides all the ones in Chicago! Thanks for your support of A BLACK TIE AFFAIR -- it means everything. Come visit me so we can dish at www.sherrillbodine.com
    xo SHerrill

    ReplyDelete
  5. a.leigh86@yahoo.com

    My favorite museum experience was on honeymoon in Tampa, the hub took me to the sciene museum. Him and the dinosaur exhibit was like kid in a candy store. So cute! Can't wait to take to real kids there, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite time was at The Royal BC Museum, "Eternal Egypt."

    I Follow

    alternate email other than blogger
    magenta 2 red [at] gmail [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see we have a lot of museum lovers here. My favorite museum was the History Museum at the Smithsonian. What a place!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I visit the Dallas Museum of Art and they had King Tut there, that was a really neat experience.

    BreezinBy87@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the history of fashion. One of my most favorite museum experiences was touring the Costume Museum in Bath, UK. It was amazing to see dresses Jane Austen would have worn!

    jenma76(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well I've never been to a big museum. We have a museum in the city where I live that has historical things from the city's past as a mining town. There are all kinds of interesting things there.

    seriousreader at live dot com

    ReplyDelete
  11. My favorite museum was the Tate in London. I stood there and thought "Leonardo DaVinci's hands actually touched this!" I went back several times. It was amazing.

    (You have my email.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The rush of finding the right dress I can totally recall. The dismay and hunt for the missing dresses keeps readers turning the pages until they're done and want a continuation.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I took my son to the children's museum. Thats the only museum I have been too. Please enter me into this contest.

    Tore923@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. My favorite was when the Field Museum had the King Tut exhibit probably in the early 80's. I'm a big fan of any museum's egyptian exhibit.
    acm05@juno.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. the getty in LA is the best museum. every time i've gone they have different exhibits and everything there is amazing. the grounds and the way it looks over the city are both incredible too.

    meaghan_koci (at) yahoo (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  16. My brother and I would go to our home town library and museum at least once a month when we were young. One day, I opened a closet door in a room that contained a telescope that looked down on the city. Inside someone had stored a full size skeleton that was used for medical purposes. It scared me to death and I never returned. Funny, that it still spooks me.

    OcalaRoseATaolDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am a follower and this book is right up my alley - just love historicals - thanks for the chance to win.

    catslady5(at)aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't remember the name of it, but we lived in Las Vegas and I took my kids to it. There were huge Dinosaur skeletons and I remember my kids faces just lighting up.

    Val Pearson
    lastnerve2000@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love going to the MOMA.
    dmkayes@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love museums, but I don't know that I can pinpoint the most memorable visit. I remember a fabulous African artificat exhibit in San Diego some years ago. Gee, and then there was the Western art exhibit in Ventura, where I first saw a Charlie Russell! Ah, then there was the Picasso's Women exhibit at LACMA. But the one I'm looking forward to is Renoir's later years beginning at LACMA this week.

    Sue R.
    cheznishilia(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love any trip to the Smithsonian...have been to too many wonderful museums to pick one. They each merit great memories.

    tabakas@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete