Thursday, January 28, 2010

One Picture = 1000 Words - # 3

You've heard the saying that "a single picture is worth a thousand words" and we all know that to be true. As a writer, I have used this exercise many times to jump start that part of my brain that daydreams, imagines, wonders, and creates. Variations of light and shadow combined with soft slivers of sensuous color do magical things when we least expect it. They inspire and awe us. They demand that we interpret their beauty with whatever medium is at hand. For a writer, poet, or reader, that would be words. Play along with me as I periodically post a photo along with my interpretation. Please add yours in the comment area, as well. It can be a paragraph, or just a single word. The important thing is to free your imagination. Allow it to go wherever it will and to bring back what only you can find.
     For me, this photo brings to mind such words as: Romance, Reflection, Promises, Separation, Unopened letter, Unknown future. Following up on that train of thought, I now try to write something that uses both the feeling the photo conjures and the actual description of the photo. It's great fun and helps me keep my thought processes fluid and unrestrained.

Narrative Exercise: I couldn't stop shaking as I stared at the beautifully laid breakfast table. Two delicate pink roses lay nestled together, their dewy petals begging to be touched. Heart shaped chocolates perched atop a pink envelope with my name across the front and the words, "So sweet a love that death cannot part."

I raised a trembling hand to my mouth and felt the beads of perspiration forming on my skin. So innocent a scene, so promising of love and happiness. Why then, did terror threaten to suck the breath from my lungs?

~Lynda Coker~ 



GIVEAWAY: Just for fun, I'm going to give away a set of my handmade, Dutch Doll appliques to three different persons who comment on this post. These are iron-on ready. You must live in the U.S. and be a blog follower to win. Deadline is February 15th. 

OUR WINNERS ARE:
Teri K and Linda Henderson

5 comments:

  1. The sweet smell of the lovely roses mingled with the enticing smell of chocolate as I sat and wondered what this missive might bring.

    seriousreader at live dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two perfect roses with sweet fragrance.
    Two perfect hearts of chocolate.
    If only you and I could be as perfect, too.

    (I have a new public email address. terikelsey56@yahoo.com.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great entries, Ladies. You both captured the sweetness of the photo and the enticement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In describing the picture with soft pink roses, smooth heart-shaped milk chocolate and a greeting card, all I can think is that somebody is being buttered up. I don't know if it's an apology, a peace offering or just a sweet thoughtful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sunnymay, I need an email address to contact you.

    ReplyDelete