Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sleep No More By Susan Crandall

Sleep No More
By Susan Crandall
Pages 400
Five Fun Facts

About The Book:
The night was always Abby Whitman's enemy. As a young girl she walked in her sleep, and one night, she started a fire that scarred her sister for life and left Abby with unbearable guilt . . . and a loneliness that echoes within her. Now Abby has begun blacking out again-with apparently fatal results. A car accident has killed the son of a prominent family. Even though the evidence seems to exonerate her, Abby is plagued by doubts-and soon by mysterious threats. Psychiatrist Dr. Jason Coble is intrigued by Abby and offers to help her explore the dark recesses of her mind.

My Thoughts: I read this book in one reading session. Why? Because I was immediately drawn into the story by Abby Whitman's character.  If you read the book information above, you know the guilt and life altering memories Abby lives with. But when I read that she never slept under the same roof with anyone for fear of causing them injury, my heart connected with this vulnerable and lonely woman who has the inner strength to deny herself, to keep those she loves safe.

Jason Coble, the local psychiatrist, makes a good counter-part to Abby's character. He's sensitive, vulnerable where his children are concerned, and sincerely drawn to the troubled Abby Whitman. Mixing these characters with danger, mystery, and intrigue will give you this satisfying and thoroughly entertaining read.

Teaser Snippet:
~ Just days ago she'd thought she would never feel more vulnerable than she did when she'd discovered she'd been sleepwalking again. She'd been so wrong. This was a million times worse. Vulnerable, violated, and victimized. 

 
A complimentary review copy of this book was provided by Hatchett Book Group

GIVEAWAY
You must live in the US or Canada and be a blog follower to win.
Winners will be randomly chosen.
Cannot ship to  P.O. Boxes
Deadline is February 27th
I have 5 copies to give away with thanks to Hachette Books.
Here's how this works.
1. Leave a comment telling something you know about sleepwalking, or perhaps a question, or experience, or helpful suggestion.
2. Be sure to include your email so you can be contacted if you're chosen as one of our winners.

WINNERS
Darcie, Linda, Sarah, Teri, katsrus

6 comments:

  1. My youngest daughter started sleepwalking at a very early age. She always tried to open the door and go outside but I'm a light sleeper, or I used to be back then, so I always caught her. Once when she was in high school and was at an out of town soccer tournament she actually went outside the motel room she was sharing with 3 other girls, but thank goodness she turned around and went back inside or who knows what would have happened. She is 27 now and hasn't done it again that I know of. We never did figure out what triggered it.

    seriousreader at live dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never experienced sleep walking, nor has any of my family. My husband was a great sleep talker, though. Sometimes he'd wake me up to have a fight -- about something that didn't even make sense. (And he was a very mild mannered guy.) I couldn't wake him up, so I'd try try smooth it over and get him back to sleep. He always denied everything the next morning.

    terikelsey56@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister was a sleeptalker and claimed that the lamp cord was a snake. It took several nights and minutes, as she insisted and argued, to convince her otherwise. She recalled nothing and laughs about it now. My kids and best friends boys fall out of bed with a thud and stay there in heap until assisted in sleepwalk back to bed. Of course, they remember not a thing and somehow have no bruises either, because they roll out and don't brace for the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! What an intriguing topic!

    I'm not a sleepwalker, but my little brother was. When I was in jr.high, my family took a trip to the coast. We went to the mid-state fair and got back to the hotel late. We filed into the room and couldn't find my brother! He'd been asleep in the truck and my mom thought he had woke up all the way. NOPE!

    We found him 15mins later with the help of the hotel secruity. He'd walked into another room (it was left cracked open) and had curdle up in one of the beds. It was just by chance that we saw the door. Turns out a bunch of college kids were partying on the balcony and had no idea he was in there. OMG! My mom was freaked out! I don't think she ever recovered from that and would never let him out her sight when we traveled. It makes for a funny story now, but certainly not 20yrs ago!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess when I was a kid I used to sleepwalk. Don't think I do it anymore. At least no one has told me I have. LOL. I think you are not supposed to wake them up. I have always wanted to read one of her books.
    Sue B
    katsrus(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  6. My doctor prescribed me ambien to help with my sleep issues. The first night was fine. Slept through the whole night. On the second night, I had my first sleep walking experience. I walked to the kitchen and ate 6 cupcakes! I only noticed because my fingers were stained pink from the frosting!
    dmkayes@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete