Friday, February 19, 2010

Can You Spend Too Much Time Reading?

Can You Spend Too Much Time Reading?

Let's think about that question in light of something King Solomon said in Ecclesiastes 12:12.  

"To the making of many books there is no end, and much devotion to them is wearisome to the flesh."

It's apparent from those words that there can be a down-side to reading if we're not balanced both in what we read, and in how much precious time we spend reading. Not an easy point to find if you're a person who loves the feel, smell, touch, and joy of diving into a new book. Here are a few guidelines I created for myself.

1. Be Selective
2. Do not ignore important responsibilities in favor of reading.
3. Use discernment, Do not accept every fact or philosophy as truth.
4. Do not sacrifice your moral or ethical principles when making book selections.
5. Despite your sincere efforts to choose wisely, if a book turns out to violate your rules, put it down.

What would you add or take away from this list?

7 comments:

  1. Ha! I have to be most careful with #2!!! It's so easy to get wrapped up in a good book and completely forget what's spinning around you. Right now, I'm reading Austen's P&P. Talk about addicting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. +JMJ+

    #2 is my problem, too . . . which is probably why it's not my list of reading rules! =P

    My own favourite rule is to let books "settle" after reading. I try not to jump into a new book too soon after climbing out of another one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't follow any rules. Just read what I like, whenever I can!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do so love a good book. And I am also guilty of breaking rule number 2 more often than not. It's way too easy to take the "I'll get to that later" approach and pick up a book instead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to read, have eclectic tastes, and can't get enough of good books. I am selective and don't read books which violate my personal code of ethics and morals, and I usually toss a book if I see anachronisms or research errors. That leaves lots of really good books. I always have one in the car and several beside the bed. I believe reading expands your mind and keeps you thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like that you brought this topic up. I have tons of books and sometimes find that the obsessive to have more overtakes actually getting anything out of the ones I have.

    My latest rule is like yours, I put it down if it's not enjoyable. I usually give them a good try, but if I'm in 50 pages and nothing is clicking, I move on. I hate books with too much sex, it seems so unnecessary for them to get really graphic. I also hate too much gore, which is why I left Jeffrey Deaver behind.

    Right now I'm obsessed with translations into English from other languages..it's like discovering a box full of treasures.

    Love the blog!
    Amy
    http://www.theblacksheepdances.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Amy,
    I'm so with you, girl! I border on obsessive when it comes to owning books. :) And I don't enjoy all the graphic sex added to perfectly good stories. Geez! I have an imagination and I like to be left alone to use it.

    ReplyDelete