Monday, February 1, 2010

A Fairy Tale For Gwyn By Linda Poitevin

A Fairy Tale For Gwyn
By Linda Poitevin
Pages 264
Watch Video

About The Book:

Gwyn Jacobs doesn’t believe in happy-ever-after.

Ever since her ex-husband walked out four years ago, abandoning her with a toddler and infant twins, Gwyn has been mother, father, and bread-winner all rolled into one. Her own scarred heart and failed marriage aside, she is determined not to open up her children’s lives to the possibility of another heartbreak...until her very own fairy tale falls into her lap -- and the hero won’t take no for an answer!



My Thoughts: I'm not going to recap the story line for 'A Fairy Tale For Gwyn'. What I do want to do, is to say how much I enjoyed reading this book. Well written with exceptional emotional insight, this story will move your heartstrings. One of the things I look for in a good read is fun, to the point, powerful dialogue. Linda Poitevin delivers on every point. The story's two main characters, Gwyn and Gareth, are polls apart in station and experience, but oh-so-attracted. It's fun reading along as the author takes these two people through some championship emotional-baggage-hurdles. Gwyn's kids are adorable and add another layer of depth and sensitivity to this contemporary romance. Real life, tough choices, and a few surprises round out a beautifully written account of Love's journey.

I also like the cover because it really fits the story. Definitely a good pick for all of us lovers of Romance.


Teaser Snippet: 
~  How many real men cleaned a woman’s kitchen on their second date?
    Therein lay the true problem, she reflected ruefully, stuffing a handful of baby carrots and some
celery sticks into a plastic zip-bag. He wasn’t real. He was a fantasy that had come to life for a brief
time, and that was all. She tucked the various containers into Katie’s lunch bag: veggies, sandwich,
yogurt, grapes.

 
A complimentary review copy of this book was provided by the author

I want to thank Author Linda Poitevin for graciously agreeing to answer a few questions for Between The Pages' readers. Enjoy!


1.      How many genres do you write in now, and do you want to add others in the future?
        A Fairy Tale for Gwyn, a contemporary romance, is my first published book in any genre. Since writing it, I've moved on to write an urban fantasy with strong romantic elements - I hope that book will be the first of a series, so I'll probably be sticking with that genre for a while. Being married to a cop also gives me a strong inclination towards suspense; for now, that inclination comes in useful in the UF books, but I do have a couple of romantic suspense ideas that I'd like to pursue some day...if only to find out what happens in the end! :)
2.       What do you enjoy most about writing?
        Escapism. I love being able to take myself to an alternate reality - preferably one that doesn't include endless loads of laundry, garden chores that I've been putting off for way too long, and the several hundred other things I "should" be doing! Though I must admit I made an exception to that rule when I wrote A Fairy Tale for Gwyn. :)
3.       Do you write under your own name?
        I do for now, but I've been tossing around the idea of using a pen name for my urban fantasy books. Maybe something a little easier to pronounce!
4.       What made you choose the career path that got you to this point?
          Mostly my husband. I'd been writing stories for my own entertainment since I was twelve, but it wasn't until he read one and insisted that I pursue publication that I began to take it seriously. He even hooked me up with the local Ottawa Romance Writers' Association. It's been like having my own personal cheerleader for the last ten years.
5.       What do you think it takes to be a successful writer?
           Perseverance and a willingness to learn the craft. This isn't a one-shot deal. If your first effort doesn't sell, you have to be willing to write another story...and maybe another...and another. And you can't look at those attempts as failures, because each of them will teach you a little more about the craft of writing and about the industry. No matter how talented you are, I don't think the learning ever ends.
6.       How do you think someone who knows you well would describe you?
          If you ask my husband and children, the first word that comes to mind is stubborn (though I prefer persistent!). Apart from that, I like to think I'd be described as strong, thoughtful, warm, intelligent...all things I strive for in my life and hope that I achieve at least some of the time.
7.       How do you perform under deadline pressure?
         I've always worked well under pressure. It tends to get me focused. I've even started working to my own self-imposed deadlines, because if I have an open end I'll never get a project done. It's a little easier now that my kids are older and less dependant on me...if I have to disappear into my cave for a few weeks, I can do so without fear of them starving or running out of clean clothing. :)
8.       What motivates you to give 100% to your writing?
           My parents, both gone now, raised me to believe that anything worth doing was worth doing well. I've carried that work ethic with me throughout my life, and have definitely applied it to my writing. Combined with a streak of perfectionism, it has served me well!
9.       In your writing career, Where do you picture yourself in 5 years?
           Ideally, or realistically? :)  Like many writers, I'd love to hit the best-seller lists, but that's a pretty tough goal and not really within a writer's control. Since writing A Fairy Tale for Gwyn, I have found an agent to represent my work, so I'm hoping my publishing career is off to a solid start, but really, I have no idea. This industry can be unpredictable at best and all I can realistically do is make sure I keep learning and improving, so that my stories consistently satisfy reader expectations. The rest we'll just have to wait and see!


9 comments:

  1. Good Monday! (why does that just sound wrong?) lol

    Wonderful interview and review! It's always fun to have a persistant hero. What gal doesn't like to be chased just a little? *wink wink* I liked the aspect of involving the children in the story. Not many romances do that. Thanks for giving me another book to add to my list!

    Smile!,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sarah! (And you're right...Good Monday just doesn't sound right!)

    I'm glad you enjoyed the interview -- and I hope you enjoy the book even more. :)

    Warmly,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynda, thank you SO much for the awesome review! I'm so glad you liked Gwyn and Gareth's story...I had such a good time writing it, I want everyone to enjoy it as much as I did! :)

    Thanks, too, for inviting me today. I loved your questions and found them very thoughtful and thought-provoking. I really enjoyed answering them.

    Warmly,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda, it is a special treat to have you stop by. I hope lots of readers will get this book and experience your warm writing style. I know I did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This books sounds just charming. I definitely need to add it to my TBR list.

    And I'm with you on those deadlines. If I have a deadline, I am good to go. Leave something open-ended, and it might never get done. Even self-imposed deadlines work better than none at all.

    Congrats on the great review, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed the interview very much. The story sounds wonderful. I'm always on the lookout for new to me authors. I'll definitely be looking for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always did say I worked better under pressure, Debra...guess I'm proving myself right these days! lol Thanks so much for stopping by to have a look - and I hope you enjoy the book when you have a chance!

    Warmly,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much, Linda! Hope you enjoy the story - and that I can provide more in future for you! :)

    Warmly,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lynda, thanks again for having me visit -- I've thoroughly enjoyed myself!

    Best wishes,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete