Saturday, February 13, 2010

Try Darkness by James Scott Bell

TRY DARKNESS
By James Scott Bell

About The Book:
Ty Buchanan is living on the peaceful grounds of St. Monica's, far away from the glamorous life he led as a rising trial lawyer for a big L.A. firm. Recovering from the death of his fiancée and a false accusation of murder, Buchanan has found his previous ambitions unrewarding. Now he prefers offering legal services to the poor and the under-represented, from his "office" at local coffee bar The Freudian Sip. A mysterious woman with a six year old daughter comes to him for help. She's being illegally evicted from a downtown transient hotel, an interest represented by his old law firm and former best friend, Al Bradshaw. Buchanan won't back down. He's going to fight for the woman's rights.
But then she ends up dead, and the case moves from the courtroom to the streets. Determined to find the killer and protect the little girl, who has no last name and no other family, Buchanan finds he must depend on skills he never needed in the employ of a civil law firm.

About The Author:
A former trial lawyer associated with one of L.A.'s top law firms and later working out of an independent office, James Scott Bell has written over 300 articles on trial law, as well as six books for trial lawyers. Now a prolific fiction writer, he applies his in-depth knowledge of the justice system to his legal thrillers. His Web site is: www.jamesscottbell.com.

Audio and Video


My Thoughts: 
This book, Try Darkness, is the third book in a series including the main character Ty Buchanan.  It reads really well on its own. Since I hadn't read the first two books, I didn't know what to expect. What a nice surprise this book turned out to be. I fell in love with Ty Buchanan, the heart-broken lawyer who's trying to get the pieces of his life back together after the death of his fiance. Living on the grounds of a convent, he's befriended by a basketball-playing nun, and an very unique priest. Having become disillusioned with his former law company, he now represents the poor and underprivileged. This leads to some very quirky situations that are super entertaining. I loved James Scott Bell's writing voice. It's different, comes out of left-field sometimes, but has that quality that makes you want to follow him, wherever he may lead.

Snippet:
~  "Usually, you don't go to a nun to get connected to a call girl. But in this case Sister Mary had gotten some names off of L.A. Night Silk. She handed me a list of four based, she said, on their profiles. She did this at my trailer, as far from the office as she could get and still on the grounds of St. Monica's."

A complimentary copy for review was provided by The Hachette Book Group

GIVEAWAY 
You must live in the US or Canada and be a blog follower to win.
Winners will be randomly chosen.
Cannot ship to  P.O. Boxes
Deadline is March 3rd
I have 3 copies to give away with thanks to Hachette Books.
Here's how this works.
1. Leave a comment telling why you read Mystery/Suspense.
2. Be sure to include your email so you can be contacted if you're chosen as one of our winners.

WINNERS:
Lori, Simply Stacie, Jeff

11 comments:

  1. i loved this book.

    here is my review:

    http://readbookswritepoetry.blogspot.com/2010/02/tss-try-darkness-by-james-scott-bell.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore suspense for the nail-biting anticipation! I want to be thrilled and maybe just a little scared. I especially like romantic suspense. Ha! A little intrigue with a side-dish of love makes for a fantastic read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read it because it's keeps you on the edge or gusseing what is going to happen next. A good mystery/suspense book draws you right into the story. This is a new author to me & I would enjoy reading this book.
    Sue B
    katsrus(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading mystery and suspense because it keeps me guessing and reading. I never want to put a book down once I have started it.
    dmkayes@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to read books that keep you interested and wanting to turn the page for more.

    dlsmith44@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love scaring myself and not knowing what is going to happen.

    simplystacieblog at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. i read mystery novels because i like the adrenaline rush
    spynaert@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the mystery of suspense books :)

    karenk
    kmkuka(at)yahoo(Dot)Com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love suspense/thrillers because of it makes the heart beat faster, the blood flow quicker and the mind move at lightening speed; it inspires conjecture, thought and fear (at times). Please accept this as my entry. Thank you!

    Aliya D.
    aliyadaya(at)shaw(dot)ca

    ReplyDelete
  10. I follow through google friend.I like mystery books for the excitement and they keep you from putting them down. cardshark42(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to win! I love books with suspense and twisted turns I dont see coming!!

    jeffintennessee at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete