Monday, April 5, 2010

Dumb As A Doorknob

Dumb As A Doorknob. That's how I would describe me when it comes to architecture. As a writer, I sometimes need to describe a building, and sad for me, it's not enough to say big, little, round, square, short, or tall. So I've had to compile a few facts. Nice person that I am, I thought I would share the fruits of my labor.

Here's a few things I learned about Columns:
1. There Classical Order is as follows:
    a. Corinthian - This column has a capital that is ornately carved to resemble acanthus leaves.
    b. Ionic - This capital is carved to resemble a scroll
    c. Doric - This column has no base and it's capital is made up of an ovolo moulding under a square abacus. It also  has a heavily fluted shaft.

The Capital is the architectural feature at the top of a column. The Abacus is the flat area at the top of a capital.

Here are a few columns for you to ponder. See if you can identify their Classical Name. And don't expect any help from me because I'm still learning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment