Saturday, May 29, 2010

Miss Olivia, the Little Red Poodle by Tom Kaminski

Miss Olivia, the Little Red Poodle 
Her First Big Adventure
by Tom Kaminski
Illustrated by Lisa Fallon

About The Book:
Follow the whimsical adventures of Miss Olivia, the little red poodle, as she takes a vacation with her family to Florida. Miss Olivia flies on an airplane and when she arrives, she falls in love with the warm weather and sunny skies. After playing fetch, exploring the grass, and swimming in a pond, Miss Olivia must go home to take a bubble bath! This entertaining book will surely put a smile on readers’ faces, young and old alike!

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Tom Kaminski is a practicing physician living in Warren, Ohio, with his wife Kathleen. They have two grown sons, Thomas and Andrew. Their toy poodle, Miss Olivia, served as the inspiration for Miss Olivia, the Little Red Poodle: Her First Big Adventure.

ABOUT THE ILLUSTRATOR

Lisa Fallon is an illustrator, painter, and commercial artist who lives in Denver, Colorado, with her husband Mark and four children, Zachary, Jacob, Sam and Lexi.

My Review:
This is a lovely little story for a young child. It's short and very simple, making it easy to hold a child's attention. I think the illustrations should be a little more colorful, however, especially Olivia's coloring. She's supposed to be a red poodle but never actually appears red, more pink or flesh colored. To me, that would confuse a child who is learning their colors. I think the blank pages in the back are great for encouraging a child to draw their own illustrations of what Olivia might being doing next when she goes out to play.


    I received a complimentary copy of (Miss Olivia, the Little Red Poodle) as a member of the    
    Dorrance Publishing Book Review Team.  Visit dorrancebookstore.com
    to learn how you can become a member of the Book Review Team.

3 comments:

  1. I remember reading to my son and also at his school and kids do notice things like that in books. Maybe they should of put the pink poodle instead of red. I always looked for fun books to read for kids when my son was growing up and my grandkids were smaller. And the more colorful the better I thought. Besides being a neat story. Thanks for the great review Lynda.
    Sue B

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your blog. Thank you for letting me visit.
    Susan
    http://amazingcouponanddiscountdeals.blogspot.com
    http://joininandgogreen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a book my son would enjoy. We have dogs and they are always having their adventures.
    winit6 at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete