Thursday, May 20, 2010

Interview with Jill Mansell

RUMOR HAS IT
by JILL MANSELL
IN STORES MAY 2010

Would you be tempted?

Newly single, Tilly Cole impulsively accepts a job offer in a small town as a “Girl Friday.” Fun job, country house, fresh start, why not? But soon she finds herself in a hotbed of gossip, intrigue, and rampant rivalry for the town’s most desirable bachelor—Jack Lucas.

Rumors of Jack’s “love ’em and leave ’em” escapes abound, and Tilly decides to do the mature, sensible thing... avoid Jack at all cost. But the more time Tilly spends with Jack, the more the rumors just don’t make sense. Tilly doesn’t know what to believe... and Jack’s not telling.



About the Author
UK bestselling author Jill Mansell has written nearly twenty romances, and sold over 4 million books.  A master of romantic comedy, her smart, sassy style has an irresistible appeal for women of all ages.  A full--time writer, Ms. Mansell worked for many years the Burden Neurological Hospital, Bristol. She lives with her partner and their children in Bristol, England.


My Review: I give this book 5 stars for it's originality, wonderful characters, and delicious humor. Yes, I loved reading this and wish I could read it again for the first time. It was crazy in spots, but crazy in a good way. Tilly Cole is an adorable girl who will steal you heart in the first 5 pages. And Jack Lucas is a scoundrel, or is he? I'll leave that for you and Tilly to discover together when you read 'Rumor Has It'.
A complimentary review copy of this book was provided by Sourcebooks, Inc.

I want to thank Jill Mansell for taking the time to do an interview with Between the Pages. It's such a treat to get to know her better as a person and writer.


1.              What made you choose the career path that got you to this point?
          Jill: It wasn’t planned! I spent eighteen years working in a neurological hospital, recording the electrical activity in people’s brains. It was a fascinating job and I loved it, but the pay wasn’t up to much. Then one day I saw an article in a magazine about successful female writers and decided to have a go at writing a book. I tried Harlequin romances first, but they kept complaining that I made them too funny. Eventually I changed my style and wrote comedy-romance. And it worked! Thank goodness!


2.              What do you think it takes to be a successful writer?
          Jill: I suppose it’s the voice of the author, and keeping the interest of the reader plot-wise. I write feel-good fiction, creating a world my readers would like to live in, with characters they would love to meet in real life. From the feedback I get, that’s what keeps people coming back for more. It’s escapism, pure and simple. I like to provide an escape from the real world and make my readers laugh and cry.

 3.      How do you think someone who knows you well would describe you?
Jill: Well, I’m actually quite like the heroines in my books. My daughter types my work for me (because I write all my novels by hand) and she finds it quite weird that my characters sound and act like me and have my own likes and dislikes. I’m chatty and nosey and endlessly curious, and I love shopping and watching trashy TV. I hate mustard and ironing. None of my heroines will ever like mustard!


  4.     How do you perform under deadline pressure?
Jill: The great thing about writing one book a year is the fact that there’s only one major deadline a year. But you do have to keep yourself disciplined. If you don’t stick to the schedule you risk losing your publication slot and the publishers realize you aren’t to be relied on. When it comes round to renewing your contract, they might decide they’d rather give the money to a more trustworthy author. It’s thoughts like these that make me meet my deadline…I don’t want to have to go back to doing a proper job…


  5.          What motivates you to give 100% to your writing?
          Jill: Oh, looks like I’ve just answered this one! Writing is one of the best jobs in the world, and hearing from readers who enjoy my books is a joy. I get to sit down every day and make stuff up, and I’m paid for it. What could be nicer than that? 


  6.     In your writing career, where do you picture yourself in 5 years?
          Jill: Ooh, interesting question, because in five years my children might both have left home. My partner and I have always dreamed of living somewhere warm, or of taking lots of cruises, so either of those possibilities would be great. In theory I could write anywhere. (In reality, though, the moment I’m away from home, I don’t want to do any writing at all!) 

  7.       What are two or three things that are essential for you to be able to write consistently?
         Jill: I always have the TV on while I’m writing – I couldn’t do without that. And an endless supply of
         snacks – little sweets, liquorice laces, packets of potato chips – are definitely necessary. And I have to
         write with one of my Harley Davidson fountain pens. 

8.              What kind of rewards are you hoping for in your writing career?
          Jill: I think I’ve had more rewards than I ever expected. I’ve sold over five million copies of my books, I’ve travelled around the world promoting them and I’ve been shortlisted for awards for my writing. I’m a lucky lucky girl. The only other reward that might be nice would be if one of my books could be made into a brilliant film. So Steven Spielberg, if you’re reading this…and George Clooney, if you felt you might like to star in it… all you have to do is ask nicely.

 

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great read. I have not read your books yet. I had to laugh at having the tv on. I always have to have the tv on when I'm on the computer or even when I read a on book sometimes. It's like I need that extra something in the backround. Great post.
    Sue B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lynda

    What a wonderful review - thank you so much! I'm thrilled you enjoyed Rumor Has It.

    Love
    Jill xx

    ReplyDelete