Monday, November 29, 2010

Author Linore Rose Burkard Guest Blogs




I know all the readers her at Between The Pages are going to enjoy this interview provided by Author Linore Rose Burkard.



Please enjoy my interview with Mr. Philip Mornay, the lead male character in Linore Rose Burkard's books, Before the Season Ends and The House In Grosvenor Square.


 
Mr. Mornay, we’re so pleased that you would grant us this interview. I know you’re busy readying for your upcoming wedding, so your time with us is all the more precious.

Miss Forsythe quite literally fell into your arms. Tell us what you saw the moment you looked into her face, her eyes, for the first time.

I would say, besides her obvious beauty, that I saw a complete and utter honesty—which intrigued me. Ariana’s eyes, you recall, are very large and striking. But they convey the sort of sincerity one seldom finds among the ton.


What is an inner quality Miss Forsythe possesses that drew you to her and will continue to draw your heart to hers?


Miss Forsythe possesses a fierce pride, and yet is all sweetness; she is innocent but no fool; she is beautiful, but no flirt; she wears the latest modes, but is no snob. She is true to her convictions under all circumstances, and honest in her conversation. (smile) She tells me more with a single look than some people do in pages of talk.
What do you love best about the story of you and Miss Forsythe?
The ending, of course. She has agreed to marry me, and I am like a man who has been given a new life. [Pause. A small frown.] I was not aware of the depths of my need—either for her, or for God. I am eternally grateful to have both in my life.

Any ideas on the recent attempt to abduct her?

I believe it was mere opportunity. A well bred young woman on the street at night with only a link boy to guard her was too much temptation for those cowardly blackguards. The coves responsible had best stay clear of Mayfair, however, as we are all on the alert, now.

What do you think about the mysterious recent disappearance of some items from your home?
Frankly, they are the least of my concern at the moment.

Would you share with us your opinion of Mr. Peter O'Brien? Is he an honourable gentleman, in your opinion?
(Both brows go up.) An honourable gentleman? Mr. O'Brien is the sort of man who likes to dig his own grave. If you give him enough space and time, he will hang himself. I have not the least desire to waste another word upon the addle-pated youth, but since you asked, suffice it to say that he is utterly beneath my notice.

Who is your best friend?
‘Best friend?’ I suppose you mean the acquaintance I value most? That could only be Miss Forsythe, surely you realize that.
What is a hobby you thoroughly enjoy?
Fencing. After riding, I suppose.

What is your favorite meal?

Now that is a question of taste [his eyes sparkle]. But not a topic of good conversation, surely. Do we wish to bore your readers? Suffice it to say that I never sit down to mutton, and the only rolls I touch are from Grosvenor Street. 
What kind of tea do you drink and where might we find it currently?
I drink the same blend that the Regent uses—and it is found only through the best suppliers, I assure you. I cannot say where you will find the best tea, today, but I can tell you never to accept it off the street from a hawker. That stuff will kill an elephant!

One last question. How do you believe Ms. Burkard has handled yours and Miss Forsythe’s story? Have you enjoyed working with her?
Do you mean, Mrs. Burkard? I give her my compliments, actually. She was discreet enough not to show my every thought to the whole world, and she managed to convey the astonishing character of Miss Forsythe with an impressive degree of precision—so that no one could doubt my affection for her; Ariana is too winning,
which everyone must acknowledge. However, I do not advise any woman to aspire to writing novels—it is, after all, a strenuous undertaking. But I cannot fault Mrs. Burkard in this instance; I believe that the good example readers may find in Ariana excuses the author’s insistence upon writing the book.

What advice would you give a modern-day young man on courting a woman?
Young men today should follow the same advice a man of my day ought to use if he would increase his own happiness upon marriage; that is, he must choose a godly woman who will benefit not only himself, but the family heritage, the children, and the general welfare and happiness of the couple. Fortune-hunters should of course be avoided; and women of the world are no more to be trusted as to motives than a cat on the hunt; find yourself a godly woman, sir! Study the scripture and know the Word of God for yourself. That is my best advice for any man.

Mr. Mornay, thank you so much for your time. We’ve enjoyed our time with you. We wish you the best on your upcoming wedding, and on your future with your lovely bride.
Obliged. [A polite bow] Miss Forsythe would like to express her gratitude for your hospitality to me; and Mrs. Burkard, if I am not mistaken, wished to leave you a calling card. It contains her website address: http://www.LinoreRoseBurkard.com

.
[I watch him go, and don’t start fanning myself until after his coach has rolled down the drive.]


Linore has a wonderful newsletter on the Regency period. Please go to her website and sign up for it. Enjoy her website while you're there--lots of fun!
My Review of  THE HOUSE IN GROSVENOR SQUARE:
I like heroines that are feisty and speak their minds and Ariana Forsythe fits that characterization. Phillip Mornay is her opposite which always makes for a fun read. The Regency period in which this story is set is so interesting and the beliefs and convictions of its characters add depth. The tension and intrigue add more layers of interest, and I love the dialogue between Ariana and Phillip. The plot moves at a pace that kept me reading and all of the characters added to my entertainment.


No comments:

Post a Comment