Monday, November 8, 2010

Author M. Kate Quinn Guest Blogs with Iris Stanton, the Heroine of Summer Iris

M. Kate Quinn is a new author for me and I'm so pleased to have her as my guest. Let's start by letting Ms. Quinn tell us about herself and then, we'll enjoy the interview with Iris Stanton, the heroine of Summer Iris.

About The Author:

After retiring from The Morris School District where she worked as a Financial Assistant to the Principal of Morristown High School, M. Kate Quinn, dedicated her time to the pursuit of her life-long dream of writing.

She is an active member of Liberty States Fiction Writers, Edison, NJ, as well as a member of New Jersey Romance Writers and Romance Writers of America.  M. Kate Quinn’s current release, Summer Iris, a romantic comedy published by The Wild Rose Press, is a summer favorite and has been named an August Top Pick by Fresh Fiction Newsletter.  Summer Iris is the first in a three-book series entitled The Perennials, where each heroine is named after a perennial flower.  Book two in the series, Moonlight and Violet, is due to release later this year.  M. Kate Quinn maintains an active blog and is a regular contributor to Pop Culture Divas blog and guest posts to other sites.  She writes a column she calls Boomer Humor for her neighborhood magazine and maintains a regular schedule of book signings, interviews, and appearances at book club meetings as well as other speaking events.

M. Kate Quinn, a long-time native of northern New Jersey, currently lives in Ocean County, NJ with her husband and their fabulously handsome Siberian cat named Sammy.  A blended family, they have six grown children and two beautiful granddaughters.

About the Book: 
The last thing Iris Stanton feels like doing is celebrating her fiftieth birthday. She's divorced, has been downsized out of a job, and her post-marriage condo is for sale and she can't afford to buy it. And when her crazy, out-there best friend, Yvonne, offers her the use of a beach cottage for the summer, Iris thinks the idea is preposterous. That is, until she comes up with what could be a solution to her pending homelessness. Selling off her small piece of waterfront property would save the very roof over her head, so she heads to the shore with a mission.

The cottage is in the midst of renovations orchestrated by handsome flirtatious owner, Sam Hanratty. His roguish attention gets Iris' heart doing flips, jump starting it into remembering she's still a woman. Sam's foreman, Eddie Morgan, is the most annoying hulk she's ever met, and Iris's heart sinks like lead when she learns that he alone could sabotage the sale of her property.

Iris' heart gets a workout this summer, with a string of unlikely events that force her to turn inward to examine what makes her tick, what is her heart's true desire and who might hold the key.


******************
Character Interview:

Interviewer:
Iris, you found yourself in a precarious predicament.  Tell us about that.

Iris:
I had been employed as a Media Assistant at a local elementary school for many years and my position was cut.  It happened at the worst possible time.  The condo that I’d been renting after my divorce had gone on the market and I didn’t have the funds to purchase it.  Plus, my daughter, Stephanie, my only child, was in grad school and living away from home. Not to mention it was my fiftieth birthday.  I was a mess.

Interviewer:
But, then entered your best friend, Yvonne.  She, apparently, had a plan.

Iris:
Yvonne’s always got a plan.  However, usually I can opt not to participate in whatever it is she’s cooking up.  But, this time it was my birthday present.

Interviewer:
What’d she give you?

Iris:
The use of a beach cottage for the entire summer at the New Jersey shore.  It was in a little town by the name of Silver Crest, about an hour and a half from where I lived up in northern Jersey.  The idea came out of nowhere, which is so typical of my best friend, and it seemed preposterous.  Especially for someone like me.  I’m not known to venture too far outside the box, if you know what I mean.

Interviewer:
So, did you go?

Iris:
Believe it or not, yes.  I threw caution to the wind and I went to the beach.

Interviewer:
How did you like it?

Iris:
Although it took all the courage I could muster to seize the opportunity, I fell in love with the place.  The cottage, the people, the ocean.  All of it.

Interviewer:
Speaking of the people.  I understand you met two men while you were a shore dweller.  Tell us about them.

Iris:
Yes.  I met the owner of the cottage, Sam Hanratty.  Handsome, gregarious.  He was in the middle of renovating the cottage so we had plenty of occasion to be in each other’s company.  And, his foreman, Eddie Morgan, I met him, too.  From moment one the two of us just didn’t see eye to eye and he was around all the time.  Annoying the hell out of me.

Interviewer:
What was the most important thing about that summer at the beach?

Iris:
The woman I became because of it.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice interview. I loved the answer to that last question.

    Rie McGaha

    ReplyDelete