Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Talisman of Elam by Jim Mastro

The Talisman of Elam - Children of Hathor  Book 1
by Jim Mastro

About the Book

A boy and his two friends…
a spaceship buried in the woods…
an ancient talisman hidden halfway across the galaxy…
and the fate of all mankind hanging in the balance.

About The Author:
I have loved science fiction almost as long as I can remember, certainly since I got my hands on a quirky little novel called The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet, by Eleanor Cameron (I think I was in fourth grade). That book sparked my imagination and kindled a lifelong interest in both science and science fiction. I went from the Mushroom Planet to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea to 2001: A Space Odyssey to Startide Rising, and so on, to distant worlds, to the past, and to the future. Each new book opened up a whole universe of ideas and excitement. I guess it was inevitable that I would someday turn to writing science fiction.

It took a little while. I worked for many years as a biologist and teacher before deciding to write full time. Other than a few short stories, though, most of my writing has been non-fiction. I’ve published several books, including a memoir (about living in Antarctica) and a natural history book (about Antarctica). The Talisman of Elam is my first novel. I’m originally from San Diego, but I now live in New England with my wife and son (whose hair, incidentally, is the same color as Jason Hunter’s).
My Review:
Science Fiction is one of my favorite genres. And while The Talisman of Elam is considered a YA book, I must confess I enjoyed it immensely. A good story isn't exclusive to any particular age group when it has adventure, intrigue, mystery, lovable characters, and the existence of humanity is at stake. And what's not to love about a spaceship that can bury itself in your backyard and pop out of the ground when you need it. The story-building is exceptional and believable. This is only the first book in the Children of Hathor Series, so I will be awaiting the next. GREAT READ! I give this FIVE STARS.

No comments:

Post a Comment