Thursday, February 10, 2011

Review of Broken Birds by Jeannette Katzir

Broken Birds
The Story of My Momila
By Jeannette Katzir

About the Book:
World War II has long since ended, and yet Jaclyn and her brothers and sisters grow up learning to survive it.  Having lived through the Holocaust on the principle of constant distrust, their mother, Channa, dutifully teaches her children to cling to one another while casting a suspicious eye to the outside world.  When Channa dies, the unexpected contents of her will force her adult children to confront years of suppressed indignation.  For Jaclyn and her siblings, the greatest war will not be against strangers, but against each other.

My Review: I will start by saying that I gave this book FIVE STARS, I enjoyed it immensely. Through the eyes of Channa, a preteen, who survives the Nazi invasion of her homeland, suffers atrocities, and lives to raise a family of her own, the author gives a glimpse into a time and place so shocking and so revealing, that it made me shudder and rethink my perspective on post-war consequences to the human condition. Environment shapes our personality, and sorry to say, we pass those traits on to our children as if it were locked in our DNA. Some strengthen, some destroy. What an outstanding recounting of such a life and the indelible ripples it produced.

1 comment: