Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Trouble With Being a Horse Review


The Trouble with Being a Horse
By: Emily Edwards

About the book:
Olivia is outraged when her parents forbid her to ride and she wishes she could run away and be with horses forever. But after falling off her favourite horse, Olivia is shocked to find that she has mysteriously turned into a horse!

As a girl in a horse's body, Olivia must put her knowledge of horses to the test as she navigates this new and bizarre world. Struggling to communicate with both humans and horses, Olivia does her best to fit in. But when she can't resist showing off how much she knows, her secret is in danger of being found out!
 
Review by Kelsey G:
Wish-fulfillment and horse sense are the order of the day in Emily Edwards' novel The Trouble with Being a Horse. Girls everywhere will get a kick out of this book, I think, while adult readers may find the writing style a bit lacking in wit and originality. Most of those bothersome details of the "why" and "how" are left to the reader's imagination regarding the main character, a horse-loving girl named Olivia's unexpected equestrian metamorphosis, and I think this hurts the story. Granted, this novel makes no science fiction or adventure story postures, and winds up achieving its most basic goal, to be an entertaining horse story. While I must admit to being mostly bored, I can tell Ms. Edwards makes an attempt to keep the plot fresh with unexpected characters and events. Unfortunately, these "twists" read more like formulaic plot points, and the reader is never really caught up in the events as they unfold. Of course, the inescapable "grass is never greener" lesson is effectively learned by the close of this novel, I only wish the journey there had been a tad more thrilling. I give it three stars because, despite its short-comings, it is a solid children's book and I will be keeping it on the shelf for my daughter to enjoy.





4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. Think my granddaughter would love this book.
    Sue B
    katsrus(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you imagine something crazy like that really happening? I'd probably die of shock! lol
    mamabunny13 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Reviewer: Kelsey G.

    Thank you guys so much for leaving feedback! I only just found out that you lovely people have been leaving comments on the reviews!! (I know, my inexperience is showing, lol) and I must say, it is so thoughtful and greatly appreciated :)
    -Kelsey G.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that when reading a book for kids as an adult, it's easy to become jaded. I mostly enjoyed it and it's sure to be a favorite for any young lady who likes horses. All the kids I know who read it, love this book!

    ReplyDelete