Wednesday, August 24, 2011

White Sleeper Review

White Sleeper
By: David R. Fett & Stephen Langford
Meet The Authors

About the Book:
When Arkansas experiences a wave of rare fatal diseases, the CDC sends disgraced doctor Dave Richards to investigate, and he knows this is the case that could save his career. When he teams up with FBI agent Paula Mushari, Richards thinks he may have found the person who can help him find the answers. But as they dig deeper, they begin to get a sinister glimpse into what they are dealing with - a vengeful sect led by the son of a late white supremacist, intent on destroying a nation. As Richards fights to save his job, he and Mushari must race against the clock to prevent a plauge of catastrophic proportions.

Review by Kelsey
I must admit, this book was a little hard to get into. The beginning was slow; the writers relied heavily on weight descriptions to characterize individuals, and while this device is mainly predictable, at times it verges on offensive. I never knew there were so many different ways to communicate the fact that a person is overweight. (Zaftig, anyone?) To put it bluntly, I was not optimistic.

Then the story began. In a word, I was riveted. It was like an excellent episode of crime TV (the kind of which one of the authors is actually a producer) and I gobbled it down. The pace picked up, and I found myself so engrossed that even turning the page was an inconvenience! The main characters finally came to life within this amazing plot. In truth, the premise of the book is rather harrowing in its sheer plausibility, and the authors do a brilliant job of balancing the antagonist and protagonist story lines. To top it all off, there's even a reasonably believable love story! I think this will make an excellent addition to any Drama/Suspense fan's collection.

Thursday, August 25
Book reviewed at True Media Solutions

6 comments:

  1. It's always such a nice surprise when a story overcomes an awkward beginning. Had I picked up the book in a bookstore and just read the opening, I probably would not have purchased it. After you're review, however, I might consider it. I like a really riveting tale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment, Maryann. I really enjoyed Kelsey's review of this book also. It makes me wonder how many good stories I missed because I didn't stick with the book long enough. *sigh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds very interesting. I Have found a couple of books to start out slow but; by the end of it I have become engrossed in the book. Thanks for the review.
    Sue B
    katsrus(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love when a book turns out to be a good one after thinking it was a dude. Bonus!
    mamabunny13 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. From Reviewer: Kelsey G.

    Thank you guys so much for leaving feedback! I only just found out that you lovely people have been leaving comments on the reviews!! (I know, my inexperience is showing, lol) and I must say, it is so thoughtful and greatly appreciated :)
    -Kelsey G.

    ReplyDelete