Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Book Review of Scotsmen Prefer Blondes by Sara Ramsey

Scotsmen Prefer Blondes
Book 2 Muses of Mayfair
By Sara Ramsey

About the Book:
She never wanted marriage…
When a friend is forced to consider a marriage of convenience, Lady Amelia Staunton is determined to rescue her. But her plans trap her in an illicit seduction, and Amelia must marry him herself. Malcolm’s all-consuming kisses and devilish humor might make up for her lost freedom, but she believes he will force her to abandon the Gothic romances she yearns to write. Since she can’t escape him, she must distract him from her secret…

He isn’t looking for love…
A powerful autocrat with a well-hidden rebellious streak, Malcolm MacCabe doesn’t need another beautiful mistress – he needs an obedient wife. Obedience is not one of Amelia’s virtues. But he’s too enthralled by her wit and passion to let her go – even if it means risking the political reputation he is building to save his clan.

Their hearts can’t survive the scandal…
Despite their intentions, every wicked embrace binds them together. But as their conflicting desires combust into insatiable hunger and unavoidable ruin, they must decide whether to pursue their personal destinies alone – or fight for the love that could destroy them both.

About The Author:
Sara Ramsey writes fun, feisty Regency historical romances. She won the prestigious 2009 Romance Writers of America Golden Heart award with her first book, Scotsmen Prefer Blondes (formerly titled An Inconvenient Marriage). Her second book, Heiress Without A Cause (formerly titled One Night to Scandal) was a 2011 Golden Heart finalist.

Sara grew up in a small town in Iowa, and her obsession with fashion, shoes, and all things British is clearly a rebellion against her hopelessly uncool youth. She graduated from Stanford University in 2003 with a degree in Symbolic Systems (also known as cognitive science) and a minor in history. After graduation, she worked at Google for seven years in a variety of sales, management, and communications roles. She left Google in 2010 to pursue her writing career full time. Sara is represented by Jennifer Schober of Spencerhill Associates.

Lynda's Review:
First let me say that the cover is just beautiful and fits the story and compliments the amazing talent of author Sara Ramsey. The heroine, Amelia, is a strong character, which for the Regency period is guaranteed to cause the hero untold problems. Just the kind of romance I love to read. The fact that she's a 'closet writer' is an interesting complication and an unexpected and appreciated part of the plot. There are many facets of this story that will keep readers enthralled: the humorous dialogue, enchanting settings, the threat of exposure, the compelling attraction that neither Amelia or Malcolm can deny, and the Regency era itself. I'm happy to give this book four stars!

LIKE L.K. SAGE ON FACEBOOK

Interview with Sara Ramsey


What attributes do you share with your protagonists—especially Madeleine and Ferguson—in HEIRESS WITHOUT A CAUSE, and Amelia and Malcolm in SCOTSMEN PREFER BLONDES?  Humor? Resilience? Intellect?  Feeling disenfranchised? 
I think all of my books deal with the issue of finding a path that feels true to oneself regardless of society’s expectations. My heroines are all trying to pursue their artistic passions even though they should be thinking of marriage, and my heroes tend to be unconventional and rebellious, too. However, I also feel pretty strongly about honor and loyalty, which makes things interesting for my characters – how can they be true to themselves without betraying those around them?
Beyond that, all of my main characters tend to be some combination of smart and funny. They tend to laugh a lot. I guess I feel that no matter how bad things are, there is always something to laugh about, and I think their humor makes them feel more real than if they were dark and brooding all the time. (Although they do their fair share of brooding too!)

What compels you to write?
I absolutely love to tell stories. I make up stories in my head all the time. I’ll see someone on the street and create a whole back story for them without ever having a conversation. Writing is a better outlet for my storytelling tendencies than making up stories about me.  In an effort to keep my friendships, I put my fictions on the page rather than in my relationships.
I also think writing is a deep act of connection. Writing lets me connect with readers, makes me feel like my voice has been heard, and gives me a way to show myself to others. It’s also cathartic; even though my characters aren’t autobiographical, I learn more about myself through my writing than anything else.

Your writing has been called fun and feisty—is it?
Ha! I hope so! It would probably be more accurate to say that my characters tend to be fun and feisty, and their interactions with each other are meant to be entertaining. But my books aren’t entirely light romps – there’s emotional depth in them, too, as the characters learn more about each other and dig deeper into their own souls.

Will we see Madeleine and Ferguson again?  Are you working on your next book?  Do you have anything else being published this year?
Madeleine and Ferguson play a supporting role in SCOTSMEN PREFER BLONDES, and may make an appearance in Ferguson’s sister Ellie’s story, THE MARQUESS WHO LOVED ME.
SCOTSMEN PREFER BLONDES has just come out. I’m working on THE MARQUESS WHO LOVED ME and have written the first part already. It should be out later this year. I have a glimmer of an idea for Prudence, the fourth member of the Muses of Mayfair – if she cooperates (uncharacteristically!) her story will come out in fall 2012. 


Thank you for letting me share a few thoughts with your followers!

Cheers,
Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment