Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Ever Wondered Why Writers Do What They Do?

Why do writers write? 

I've asked myself that question many times. After all, chances are you'll never be famous, never make enough money to quit your day job, never learn to take rejection well, never take a bad review as just part of the job, and never feel really comfortable sending your 'child' out into the world for others to judge. You'll work most days in solitary confinement without the comfort or encouragement of a fellow workmate at a nearby desk. Most of your family and friends won't understand why you haven't grown out of playing with your imaginary friends and, at times, you'll even wonder if you have a firm grip on reality. 

So why do I write? Because something inside compels me to record the visual stories that are constantly being manufactured by my brain. I love living and working with my characters, my plots, and unusual locations. I love writing about people I've never met, as if I really know them. I love immersing myself in an exotic place I've never seen. I love being in control, assured that the story I'm creating will have a happy ending, a bigger-than-life hero, and a heroine who inspires admiration, confidence, and love. 

Now, it's your turn. Please share with my readers why you write, whether it be novels, short stories, poetry, non-fiction, etc.

 

Lynda's Amazon Author's Page - Writing timeless romance you'll read again and again
 
Follow Me on Pinterest

6 comments:

  1. I think of it as therapy for free, that and I'm just not able to stop myself. There are so many stories to tell - must be my Irish ancestry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And each day brings with it a new story or a new perspective on an old idea.

      Delete
  2. I write because my day dreaming gets out of control if I don't put those stories down on the page. Otherwise I might go loopy!

    We may not have someone sitting in a cubicle next to us (like someone who goes to work) but we have the world and other writers at our fingertips because of the wonderful support of other writers, writers loops, FB etc.

    I just wish we could do something about the pay. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loopy is a good description! LOL And concerning the pay, it's a good thing we love what we do because the majority of writers work for the sheer personal satisfaction.

      Delete
  3. One of my favorite games as a child was "Let's Pretend." I think my writing is just the adult version of that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi IIona,
    Yep! All writers must have their version of this game. LOL
    Thanks for stopping by

    ReplyDelete