Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Book Review - Surviving Seventh Grade by Glenn K. Currie



SURVIVING SEVENTH GRADE
A Sequel to a Boy's First Diary
By Glenn K. Currie

About The Book:

Surviving Seventh Grade is set in the 1950s, before life was complicated by smart phones, video games, texting and even personal computers. It focuses – with humor – on the emotions and problems of becoming a teenager – as seen through the eyes of a thirteen-year-old boy. These issues remain very similar to what kids deal with today as they begin “junior high” or middle school.

Review:
When I received this book, the cover, along with the title, made me laugh. I just had to move it to the top of my TBR list to see if the content was as intriguing as the cover promised. 

Well, I'm still laughing. I thoroughly enjoyed the coming-of-age perspective of a seventh grade boy and the discoveries he makes while working out his plan for this crucial time in his life. It's enlightening, funny, and nostalgic, while at the same time, it's completely applicable for today's youth. Both teenagers and parents will enjoy this read.

One of my favorite issues was Nuclear Attack: Here's s snippet from page 20.

     ~ I don't like to think about nuclear attacks.
        We don't seem to be well-prepared.
        If my desk is the best protection we have,
        We're in a lot of trouble. ~

Here are a few of the issues covered: There are 92 of them, each one insightful and hilarious. I'm happy to give this book Five Stars!
  • The Hall Monitor
  • Locker Room Revenge
  • Kleenex and Potatoes
  • The Kissing Fight
  • The Sex Lecture



LIKES AND TAGS ARE APPRECIATED


BE A WINNER IN OUR CONTINUAL MONTHLY BOOK GIVEAWAY! You can find complete details on the Giveaway Page.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment