Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Book Review - BEAUTY RISING by Mark W. Sasse

Amazon Buy Link
Page Length: 246
ISBN: 1481211285

About the Book:
"My heart sank. I dumped my father's ashes in the heart of communist Vietnam - over a thousand miles from the death of his comrades - over a thousand miles from the smile of that girl. How could I have been so stupid?" 


Only the bumbling, overweight, thirtyish, stay-at-home Martin Kinney could have mistakenly flubbed his dying father's request with such gusto. This thousand mile mistake awakens the ghosts of long-held family secrets and puts Martin on a fateful course with an unlikely romantic interest - a young, beautiful, yet troubled Vietnamese woman named My Phuong. 
 
Lynda's Review:
~ I nodded my head. I had never met this girl before, but I felt like I had been dreaming about her for three years. This was my banana tree moment.~  Page 162

This story is well written and the descriptions gave me a real sense of place and time. The storyline was emotionally draining, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I felt as though a few of the plot elements were left dangling in the end and that always frustrates me. The dysfunctional family atmosphere that can shape a person and the life experiences that can alter ones future are depicted well in this story. One element I think the author handled so well was the revelation of Martin's personal worth, and the enduring capacity of love he showed. I give this story Three Stars!



No comments:

Post a Comment