Sunday, July 7, 2013

Should a review be served as "FAST FOOD" or a "SEVEN-COURSE MEAL"?

Follow my blog with Bloglovin 

I personally detest long reviews that simply restate everything that's in the book blurb with very little personal input. I much prefer short reviews that give me the reviewer's strongest and most lasting impression of the overall story, things they like or didn't like, or the factual and emotional impact. I don't want to know all the high and low points, or every small fact about the characters, plot, and setting. As a perspective reader, I'd like to discover those things for myself. 

Well that's my opinion, now I'd like to know what kind of book review you prefer to read.



8 comments:

  1. I'm absolutely behind you on this, Lynda. I was shocked once when someone sent me a review that said NOTHING about what they felt about the book. I didn't know what to say so I asked her if she hadn't found any redeeming qualities in the book she could mention. A prospective reader doesn't need a précis of the book; the blurb is right there for that purpose. What a reader wants to know is how good or bad the book is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea,
      Thanks so much for stopping in and adding to this discussion.

      As an author, that would be very frustrating to get a review with nothing said as to the reviewer's reaction to the story. Good or bad, all of us who write, really value a review that's straight from the heart. They give us a perspective on our writing that we can find nowhere else.

      Delete
  2. I like a brief, succinct, hook type review first and then if I'm interested I like longer reviews. I particularly enjoy in depth reviews / debate, usually from the radio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I'm really interested in a book, sometimes I'll seek out a longer review myself. But I have to really interested and looking for something particular. Thank you for your addition to our discussion.

      Delete
  3. Lynda, I agree. Just give me your opinion and let me decide if I want to listen to you or not!

    An insightful post - thanks -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ashantay,
      You're my kind of review reader. LOL Straight to the point...
      Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

      Delete
  4. A good review gives you a taste of the book, but it shouldn't reveal too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your right, Alexis. A little bitty taste is tantalizing, but a big mouth full can satisfy our hunger and we just pass up the story all together.

      Delete