Tuesday, September 17, 2013

In Search of Romance - Destination: Galveston, Texas (Part 1)

I've recently come to the END of my current work-in-progress. My intention is to complete the final edits and submit the manuscript to my publisher sometime in October. So, what next? I'm thrilled you asked because I'm so excited about my plans.

A certain story idea has been loitering in the back of my mind for some time. The characters have materialized to the point that they're beginning to nag me quite shamelessly to get their book written. The setting for this tale is Galveston, Texas.

Now, for the exciting part! My husband is taking me on a ten day trip to Galveston in early December so that I can do on-site research for this story. This will be my first time to travel to a specific destination for the sake of a book idea. The genre will be Contemporary Romance..

I want this to be a productive and fun experience. So, I'd like to get some suggestions from both writers and readers on how to make the most of this opportunity.

If, as a writer, you have recommendations, tips, personal experiences, etc., that would help me in this endeavor, and don't mind sharing, please leave those as a blog comment here.

As a reader, if Galveston, Texas interests you as a setting for this story, tell me some things you'd like included in the story. It could be on history, architecture, cuisine, ambiance, accommodations, views, etc. Or it could be about what kind of characters you like, their, strengths, weaknesses, and aspirations. You can leave those comments here.


SNEAK PEEK - Texas-Sized Love
(Setting: Galveston, Texas - Time Period: Contemporary)
(This is a work-in-progress, including title, and has not been edited for publication. )
I'll be sharing the first few pages of this story as I write these blogs about my Galveston experience. Please feel free to share you thoughts and opinions on the story and it's characters.

CHAPTER ONE
Laney swiped away the rivulet of perspiration snaking its way down the side of her face. The July heat blowing through the windows of her dilapidated pick-up truck pooled ever thicker as she eased the truck to a stop and killed her engine. In front of her loomed a massive gate spanning the entrance to an enormous home partially visible through the tree-lined driveway. She dismissed the handcrafted artistry of the sculptured ironwork and concentrated on the detestable medallion displaying the Circle M symbol. In the last twelve weeks, that same symbol had been indelibly stamped on her life, branding her as the undisputed property of its owner. Though she’d never seen him, she hated everything about him, most especially, the arrogance with which he’d stolen her future.

~To be continued in (Part 2)~
  • Be sure to check often for new posts to this on-going series. You'll find a quick reference list in the sidebar.


Follow Me on Pinterest

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the excerpt!

    About ten years or so ago, I traveled through Galveston and loved the historic homes and the pyramid shaped domes I saw there. Would enjoy reading about them in your next story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ashantay,
    Thanks for stopping by. I'm going to sign up for a historical tour. I think that would be a great way to learn about some of the history of the area. And Moody Gardens is definitely on my attraction agenda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting! When I hear or think about Galveston I always picture the ocean on a warm summer day but since your trip is in Decemeber it will be neat to hear how the season and cooler weather will give you a different view of the area!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Breeze,
      I'm looking forward to visiting Galveston in the Winter season. I do hope you'll follow along with me as I report on this adventure. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete