Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Writers and Negativity

#Rejection, #Depression, #Disillusion


My writing STINKS! No one will ever want to read what I write! Everyone else is a better writer than I am! What I write is so silly, corny, stupid, unrealistic, and just trash!

How many of those fit how you sometimes feel about your writing? I've certainly struggled with each one of them at some time or other. After submitting my first book for publication to over fifty publishers and receiving 36 rejection letters, I was convinced that all the above was true. But then the miracle happened. One of the few publishers left to be heard from actually requested I send my full manuscript for their consideration. Eleven months later that book was in print.

Not every writer wants to be published. A few writers will never allow anyone to read their work.  But most writers dream about having readers who adore their style, voice, and story concepts. Deep down they really want to share their creation, if they could just overcome the negative mindset described in the first paragraph.

A few days ago an acquaintance who'd just read one of my books for the first time said the following. "I absolutely loved your story, but I have to tell you, I don't like your voice/style at all." Then she went on to rave about how much she loved the characters and asked if I intended to write a sequel.

Episodes like that remind me of how much fun it is to write. Despite her style/voice issues, this person was still drawn to my characters and story concept, enough to want more. 

Will every reader love every aspect of what we write? NO. So then, should we just give up and never allow anyone to read our work? Just think how empty the library shelves would be if every writer felt that way. Think about your favorite writer and how thankful you are that they overcame their fear. 

As a writer, how do you deal with negative thoughts that threaten your desire to continue?



Follow Me on Pinterest

3 comments:

  1. I've read your books and I must say that I love your style and voice. I feel the passion, the emotion, as if I knew you... personally. Please don't stop writing, I'd feel as though I lost a sister if you did. Waiting for the next book ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! (*Wink) My next book, Stormee Waters, will be out later this year. Thank you for taking the time to comment. Brothers are the greatest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fighting back the negative voices in our heads it like a daily exercise.

    ReplyDelete