Tuesday, March 25, 2014

TAGLINES: Pesky Little Critters!

Those one or two liners known as taglines are some of the hardest things to write, at least, they are for me. After all, when I finish a book of 100 - 300 pages and then have to find just the right phrase, sentence, or snippet of dialog to encapsulate the essence of the story...well, it's exhausting. But coming up with a really, really, good one gives me a moment of pure pleasure that's hard to rival.

Image from Fanpop
 http://www.fanpop.com/clubs/france/images
Sometimes what helps me is to find a few photos that fit well within my story. I start doing that when I start a new book and I make a board for them on Pinterest. My board for my newly contracted book, Stormee Waters can be found here. And while your there, check on the board for my newest story, Crossing The Chasm.

These photos jump start my creative processes in some mysterious way that even I don't understand. They seem to miraculously generate phrases that are just right for taglines.

Can you think of some for this photo? Here are a few of mine.

  • A stranger waits...or could he be more?
  • Destiny is determined by a single path...will her heart survive?
  • Like every corner, life has a turning point. Does anyone know where it is?
Now it's your turn. What kind of tagline does this photo inspire in you?



Follow Me on Pinterest

6 comments:

  1. It'll take me a lot longer to come up with a tagline than you, but I agree that a picture [visual learner] helps a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What would we do without our visuals? Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  2. Hi Lynda,

    What a great idea to get the brain going. Here's mine.

    She said yes to his shared umbrella. Paris~her city of love, or a chance for revenge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katy, love the tagline. And "revenge' is a great hook! Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  3. I wish I could be helpful--I have a hard time with my own taglines :0 But this photo is a great inspiration. It just makes me want to be there--wherever that lovely place is! Good luck!-Barb Bettis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by, Barbara. And I know how you feel. How can one-liners be harder to write than the book? LOL

    ReplyDelete