Thursday, June 12, 2014

Book Review: Just Helping My Dad by Mercer Mayer

Genre: Children
Length: 32 Pages

About The Book:
Little Critter can't wait to spend the day helping his dad with little projects around the house. But each task Little Critter tackles — from yard work to repairs — turns into a big disaster, and his enthusiastic "help" just creates more work for Dad. Even though things don't quite go as planned, Little Critter learns that making an effort is what really counts.
Sweet and funny, Mercer Mayer's Little Critter stories about the ordinary ups and downs of childhood have been popular for decades. This book, which is part of the My First I Can Read series, is ideal for sharing with emergent readers, who will also benefit from the central message about the importance of lending a hand.

About The Author:


Mercer Mayer is the writer and illustrator of the Little Critter First Readers, as well as the Little Critter Spectrum. He began writing and illustrating children's books in 1966 and he has published more than 300 titles. His award-winning work features dragons, cuddly monsters, wonderful creatures, and endearing critters.

Mercer Mayer was born in Arkansas in 1943. When he was thirteen years old, his family moved to Hawaii. After high school, he attended the Honolulu Academy of Arts, and then he went to New York City and the Art Students League.

"Most of my books are about things that happened to me when I was a little kid," says Mercer. "Now that I'm a big kid, I write about things that happen now, especially with my own children and grandchildren. They always remind me of what it is like to be little."

In 2007, Mercer Mayer was chosen to be the National Book Festival Artist of the Year. He and his wife, Gina, write the Little Critter stories together. They live in New England.

Breeze's Review:
There is really not enough good things I can say about this book. Being that I have a daughter who is learning to read, the book
appealed to me as a parent. The story is told in short sentences that didn't overwhelm a beginning reader. The illustrations are phenomenal and add so much value to the story. The book develops in a way a child enjoys; and parents will relate to it as well. My daughter and I enjoyed reading this book together. Consider including this selection in your child's library. It would also make a great gift!
For more about this series of books and lots of interactive learning material, check out this website.



Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment