Tuesday, November 18, 2014

IF YOU WERE ME AND WROTE BOOKS, by Ashantay Peters

#North Carolina #Blue Ridge Parkway #Farmer's Market #Asia #South America #Write #Books @Ashantay Peters
Ashantay Peters is my quest today. Ashantay, thank you so much for taking the time to visit with us. I chuckled all the way through this interview and I know my readers are going to enjoy getting to know you better. 


Lynda, thank you for hosting me today. I love the focus of your new blog feature, and enjoyed answering your questions. To clarify one of those answers, I live in Western North Carolina, near Asheville, in the foothills of the mountains. This information will make more sense in a moment. I look forward to your reader’s comments!



IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, If I took a drive in the area I live, what might I see?           You’d see so much beauty your breath would get stuck in your lungs, or maybe in your throat until you remembered to respire. You’d be able to drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway when you wanted – a Kodak moment around every turn, no kidding. Or travel to picturesque small towns for a tasty brew – coffee or beer. Visit farmer’s markets and fruit stands for fresh produce. You could enjoy nature in whatever form you like best – active or contemplative. Or see a live artistic performance with renowned artists or talented amateurs. And don’t forget the crafts shows! There are plenty of potters, weavers, caners, soap makers, woodworkers, and metal crafters to appreciate. 

IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, What would I sincerely feel about editing, and editors? 
You’d enjoy the process. No, you’re not crazy! Your editor would be a person who’s opinion you respect, even as you groaned when seeing lots of comments. Those red lines and yellow splotches only mean you are working together to create an excellent product!

IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Would I get excited over seeing my book cover for the first time? You’d be doing a happy dance every time a new cover came in. You’d have your cover(s) saved to your desktop so you could easily show the artwork to passersby and unwitting store clerks.

IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Do I write for myself or my readers? You’d write for yourself first, and remember to explain the stuff for readers that you know so well you’ve forgotten to put it on the page. A win-win!

IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Do I write better when I'm feeling great or feeling low? You write better when you’re feeling great, but you keep writing when you feel low and the process pulls you into a better place.

IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Are there days I hate writing? You betcha! You feel like you’re in a hole, as if the words are jammed up somewhere, maybe lost in a forgotten part of Asia or the jungles of South America. Watch out for that python! Quick! Step away from the cliff! 

IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Why did I start writing? If I can't write for an extended period of time, do I react in a weird manner? You’d start writing because you wanted to read stories about people like you. If you can’t write for an extended period of time, you go a little nutty, but no one notices because you were a tad off to begin with. The good news is you take your weirdness, make it funny, and no one knows your books are autobiographical in nature. Or maybe...well, you’re not admitting anything.


Ashantay, Where can my readers find your books and how can they follow you?
My books are available through www.thewildrosepress.com.  You may contact me at ashantay.peters@gmail.com, and I promise not to stalk you. Or, check out Facebook https://facebook.com/ashantay.peters to decide whether or not you like my posts.



Follow Me on Pinterest

46 comments:

  1. I LOVE this interview, just as I love Ashantay Peters' books! Funny, clever and chock full of characters with whom a reader can identify. Who could ask for better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Laura! I think the answer to your question is: a Laura Strickland book! :>)

      Delete
  2. Great interview! I really enjoyed reading Ashantay's answers. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If there's one thing most of us have in common it's our weirdness. We spend our time making up stories. Love your stories, Ashantay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandra, and I enjoy your books! We really are strange folks, aren't we? And what would the world do without us?

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful place you in, Ashantay! Thanks for the fun interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love this part of Western North Carolina. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

      Delete
  5. You live in such a beautiful part of the country. Reminds me of Vermont in the fall. Love your analogy about writers block feeling like you're stuck in a hole. I often feel exactly the same. :) Best Wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathy. Glad you enjoyed the analogy! I'll look for you the next time I'm in the hole. We can maybe hang out, have a glass of wine together...

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy! I appreciate your stopping by!

      Delete
  7. This is such a good interview, Ashantay, and a lot of what you say about writing resonates with me. AND I'm hoping to drive the Blue Ridge Parkway summer '15 so watch out for me--love that northern NC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I REALLY hope we can meet when you drive the BRP!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks, Robin - and thanks for supplying the photo of Davidson, NC. Great pic!

      Delete
  9. Great blog. It shows off your good nature and your humor, which are always apparent in your romantic suspense books. Folks, be sure to check out Ashantay's new Christmas novella, a Dickens of a Death. It's a super start to the season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Linda! And for all you folks looking for a thrilling read, check out Linda's books. And those by Robin Weaver - you won't be sorry!

      Delete
  10. I can relate to reacting weirdly when I am not writing. I was traveling last week and on the go everyday. I crawled into bet every night dead tried, but by the third day I was getting the shakes. I knew what it was... Great snaps, btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those writing withdrawal shakes can get nasty. Sure hope you're back at the keyboard again!

      Delete
  11. GREAT interview. (And I'm not saying that because, as her editor, I received an anonymous honorable mention ;)) The area you live sounds absolutely perfect. Would love to visit someday. I adore Ashantay and her books as well. Thanks for hosting her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking time to stop by - folks, meet my fabulous editor! And a great writer, besides. When you visit, plan to save hotel money and stay with me!

      Delete
  12. Enjoyed your interview and, if I were you...I'd be just like you because I also am a writer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - and a great suspense writer - love your stuff!

      Delete
  13. I loved the interview. I enjoyed the comment about being a little off. I'm a little off too. Maybe it's a writer thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's definitely a writer thing. Hmm. That might make a good t-shirt slogan. Thanks for the idea! And thanks also for stopping by!

      Delete
  14. What a great interview! I love the pics, too. We're spending Thanksgiving near Asheville. I hope to see some of what you're talking about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, I hope you have a fabulous time! Downtown Asheville has tons of intriguing shops and a plethora of excellent restaurants. Wishing you a safe and fun trip!

      Delete
  15. I enjoyed the interview. What a fun read. I'm pleased to see that someone else loves humor. Write on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Judy Ann! So glad you enjoyed the interview. Lynda provided excellent questions.

      Delete
  16. *Mac leaves a comment take 3* Geez, I suck at Blogger.

    Fun interview, ladies, except for the python. I'd rather jump off the cliff. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, don't jump! You must keep writing!

      Delete
  17. Replies
    1. Thank you, Joanne! I appreciate your stopping by and leaving a comment.

      Delete
  18. Great interview, Ashantay! Haha...that python was hovering near my writing cave last week. I'm much happier that the words are flying this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad the snake was scared off - and that the words are flying for you!

      Delete
  19. Great answers, Ashantay! And what beautiful scenery! And I can indentify with the not being able to write for an extended period. I get very grumpy when I can't let my stories and characters out. Writing is life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Susan! Writing is as necessary as air. Huh. Maybe that's why I turn a little blue...sorry, can't help the pun. (smiles)

      Delete
  20. Great interview Ashantay - but I really love those pics! Did you take them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping, Kat! Yes, I took all the pics except I'm not sure about the one of Davidson, NC. My CP, Robin Weaver and I were both using her I-Pad because I'd left my camera behind. The ones on the BRP are mine. Glad you like them.

      Delete
  21. I loved this interview and can relate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad we have something in common!

      Delete
  22. Nice interview, Ashantay. I'm right there with you on writing for yourself first.

    Kat is right. The pictures are gorgeous. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa! Glad you agree. (smiling)

      Delete
  23. Oh, is that where all my words got to? Time for a trip to the jungle. Thanks for some good laughs and insights. And for your generous view of editors--we're on your side, really we are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll look for your words the next time I'm lost in a tangle of strangler ficus. (grin) Thanks for visiting and for your comment

      Delete