Saturday, November 29, 2014

IF YOU WERE ME AND WROTE BOOKS, by Christy Jones



I'm so happy to have Author Christy Jones with me today. Not only is Christy a writer, but she also shares my passion for fabric design and creation. Christy IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, How would I introduce myself?


You are a book-loving wife and play-at-home mom who spent years imagining, writing, researching, rewriting, editing, and dreaming up a fantasy novel called "Trinka and the Thousand Talismans," only to find that compared to getting it published, all that was the easy part. Yet you can hardly wait to do it again.

IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Would I be writing alone, or do I allow others in my space while writing?

You would cherish the quiet morning hours—er, 47 minutes, or 23, or 6—when you have time alone
to write, and think of the classic line from White Christmas: "45 minutes all to myself." You would learn to write on scraps of paper and spiral notebooks while sitting in the hall during gymnastics class, and while sitting beside your beloved 4 and 5 year olds as they draw or play. You would ponder plot difficulties while cleaning toilets and neglect dusting your piles of books because you're writing on your own instead. And in the end, you will discover that all these things made your story better than it ever would have been if you just had time to sit down by yourself and write.

IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Would I speak a different language, dialect, or local slang?

You would love language so much that you would want to invent your own words, sounds, and ways of thinking and speaking for the characters in your imaginary worlds. You would invent new ways of writing English, and give your main character a longing to learn to read them. You would help her overcome her feelings of exclusion and gain confidence in her ability as a reader, and hope you that your readers would be inspired to encourage others in the joy of reading too. (You would even post copies of all the writing systems you made up on your website, www.joneschristy.com, so readers could play with them too.) ;-

IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, What things would inspire me?

The glorious nature of the Pacific Northwest, with its forests of towering evergreen trees, orchards full of fruit, endless ocean waves of gray, and occasional spots of blue sky would help you see the world as magical. The blue and white castle paintings of Norwegian artist Tone Aanderaa, the glass sculptures of Dale Chihuly, and the domed buildings of Renaissance Russian architecture would help you envision an incredible city of glass towers, and a girl who felt she didn't belong there. You would want to create your own world that lets readers see, smell, taste, touch, and feel through the eyes, hands, and heart of someone new.

IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, What would I do when taking a break from writing?

Remember all the blessings you have in the real world, and enjoy them. And throw yourself into making a book trailer, because it requires learning all kinds of things you have never done before.

IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Would I be doing lots of research?

In the library, you'll check out books on Salish weaving to find out how the Pacific Northwest natives made incredible blankets and clothing out of goat hair. You'll read books on how to perform ballet techniques for exercise, and wonder what it would be like to have a graceful body suited to such perfection, and ponder how it feels not to. You'll look up Greek and Latin word roots, and explore character name books, looking for just the right words and sounds. You'll need a dictionary. And a thesaurus. (Online is faster.) You'll look at photos of the Namib dessert, and Scottish castles, and alpacas, and of course Viking ships.

IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Would I also have other hobbies, if so, what kind?

A childhood filled with fairy tales, an admiration for the Muppets and all the creativity behind them, and an unquenchable desire to create would lead you to sew your own colorful creatures. Those dolls and puppets would lead to stories, and the stories would, in turn, lead back to the creation of new sewing patterns, coming full circle. You would see writing, doodling, designing, sewing, reading, researching, enjoying, watching, listening not as separate processes, but as one.

www.puppetpub.com




Follow Me on Pinterest

10 comments:

  1. Hi Christy, Great interview and trailer! Joanne :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joanne! Both the trailer and the interview were great fun to do. :-)

      Delete
  2. Creating your own language? Fabrics, creating designs, weaving--so fascinating! Really enjoyed your interview! Best of luck with your release.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara! I love your website design (especially the lettering), and I enjoy happy endings too. Congratulations on your second book.

      Delete
  3. Very cool interview. Sounds like both life and writing keeps you busy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you're so creative. I can't imagine sewing my own dolls and puppets, unless I could somehow make them out of duct tape. Very Impressive.
    Great interview

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marlow! I think duct tape dolls would be totally cool, and you could probably sell a great book about them. ;-)

      Delete
  5. Christy, I so remember treasuring those early mornings. It was "my" time to organize, write, rest...a quiet moment before the chaos of the day would begin. My children are now grown, but I still get up very early to relish those quiet moments. All the best! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary! Quiet mornings are awesome, but I relish my crazy, noisy days too. I know mine will be grown before I know it, so I'd better enjoy them now. ;-)

      Delete