Tuesday, December 30, 2014

IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS by Abigail Owen

Please welcome my guest today, Author Abigail Owen. Abigail, I can tell from your writing that you have an active imagination. I can't wait to hear more about you and your love of writing. So let's get started. Have you always been a writer at heart?

Lynda, If you were me and wrote books, you would have been writing most of your life, having caught the bug in third grade when you placed in an essay writing contest.

But it took me about thirty more years before I finished my first book. There were many books started during that time, but none that saw the words “The End” until just after my first child was born. There’s nothing like having kids to put life in perspective and make you want to pursue your dreams (when you’re awake and sane that is).


IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, WHAT WOULD MY WRITING SPACE BE LIKE?

Your writing space would be anywhere you settle. 

During the day we’re talking about the couch, kitchen table, or my writing desk. Evenings are spent up in my bedroom. TV on or off, depending on how distractable I am at the moment. A lot of writing happens on the go as well. My computer travels everywhere. So my writing space can also be on an airplane, in doctor’s offices, at kids practices, at Starbucks, and so on.


IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS DO I HAVE ANY CRITTERS KEEPING MY COMPANY? 

Oh, yes you do. 

Meet T-bone, a rescued Chihuahua/Jack Russle mix (who is not at all hyper). He loves to snuggle with his people and sometimes has to be pulled off my arms when I’m typing.



IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, HOW DO I THINK OF WRITING?

You would have started writing as a hobby and a passion, a way for you to release tension. 

It still does that for me. Given how much time I spend at this, I’d say the passion is definitely still key. I am attempting to make it into a vocation. I am breaking even, we’ll see if I can at least turn a profit soon!

IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, ARE THERE DAYS I HATE WRITING? 

Yup! First drafts would be very hard for you. (Hence the multiple unfinished books at the beginning.) 

I had a friend describe it as giving birth to a 2-ton elephant and have to agree. I definitely prefer the drafting phases where I get to take the very rough first draft and make it good. I also find being deliberately funny difficult. I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m not a funny person.

IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, WOULD I TAKE MANUSCRIPT REJECTIONS WELL? AND HOW DO I FEEL ABOUT BAD REVIEWS?

I think you'd take them well. 

Does rejection or a bad review bum me out? Absolutely. If I’m lucky enough to get feedback I take it and use it when I feel that it’s valid. I try to learn from it. The reviews that aren’t useful (usually things like, “This isn’t my type of book so I’ll give it 1 star.”) I ignore those. And when it’s really rough, I think about the positive feedback I’ve received from fans, my publisher, and fellow authors.

IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, What would I tell a Kindergarten and Senior class about writing?

To Kindergartners you would say LOVE your imagination and write whatever you want and go wherever that takes you.You'd love all the things their unlimited minds come up with. To Seniors you would say take all those awesome things your teachers taught you and write them in a list so you don’t forget. 

My Mom was a high school English teacher and I still have her review all my stuff.

IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Would I prefer, honey, jam, or syrup on my waffles
or pancakes?

Syrup, definitely. But also really good with chocolate chips and whipped cream and fresh strawberries!!! (But anything is better with chocolate, right?)

I’m a chocoholic, so I’m serious about that. Anything with chocolate.

IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, What's the best/worse comments I've received from a fan or critic?

Worst: “She might be a writer someday.” Um. Thanks? (Ouch)

Best: “I fell in love with this book from the very beginning. This is the first book I have read by Abigail Owen and it most certainly won’t be the last!” Saying you’ll read more of my books is the best compliment I could ever receive. 



YOU CAN FIND MORE INFORMATION ABOUT AUTHOR ABIGAIL OWEN AND HER BOOKS AT THE FOLLOWING LINKS:

Andromeda’s Fall: http://abigailowen.com/available-books/shadowcat-nation-series/andromedas-fall-shadowcat-nation-1/

Website/Blog: http://abigailowen.com/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Abigail.Owen.Books

Twitter: https://twitter.com/AOwenBooks

Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/abbyowen/




Follow Me on Pinterest

8 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for having me to visit Lynda! I really enjoyed all the fun questions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so welcome, Abigail. And I really, really envy you having a mom who's an English teacher. I'm really jealous...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my mom to pieces for many reasons. But I'll admit free grammar clean ups are huge! :)

      Delete
  3. Enjoyed. You seem calm sort of about bad critiques and reviews. you're supposed to be and i try to learn from them, but they sting me. Good luck with your book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh they definitely sting. A bad comment has the power to ruin my day. Then I pick myself up and either learn from it and get better or ignore it if I don't agree. It's not worth more than that. (So much easier said than done!)

      Delete
  4. Delightful post! I'm also a chocoholic. BTW...great attitude wrt critiques and rejections. Happy New Year Abigail & Lynda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello fellow chocoholic. :) Any favs or is anything chocolate good?

      Thanks and happy new year!!!

      Delete
  5. Abigail, I do agree with all you said. I know I let the bad reviews go most of the time, but they still sting. Everyone won't like your writing, but it's great when they do.

    ReplyDelete