Tuesday, December 9, 2014

IF YOU WERE ME AND WROTE BOOKS by Debra Druzy

#Write #Punctuation #Texting #Smartphone #Santa  @Debra Druzy

Let me introduce you to Debra Druzy. Debra says on her blog: "With terrible penmanship, writing books was never a life long dream." I had to laugh at that because I felt the same way. Debra didn’t plan to be a writer. She went to college for childhood education and was a substitute teacher for a few years. Eventually, she left teaching to work in Corporate America. Years of commuting by train gave her a lot of time to read. The more she read, the more she wanted to write her own story…and so she did. She writes full-time now and still has a problem with punctuation. Sleeping with Santa is her first published book. You can find her online at www.DebraDruzy.com

Debra, here are a few questions for you:









IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, 
What would my writing space look like? 

Your writing space would be scattered around the house. There'd be a little table in the kitchen to brainstorm with pen and paper, cluttered with the kiddies’ after-school papers and mommy-to-do lists. Some typewritten work might be done on the family computer. But the majority of the writing would happen sitting on the bed with your trusty laptop.

IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, What would I do when taking a beak from writing?

Taking a break would mean running to the potty, or refilling the coffee cup, or carting kiddies to/from activities, or folding laundry, or taking your furry writing partner for a walk.

IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Do I have any critters that keep me company while writing?

A Shih Tzu named Teddy would be doing double-duty as a writing partner/foot warmer.
  
IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS,Do I often visit book stores and why?

It would be the most interesting way to spend alone-time ~ a mental adventure.

IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, 
Do I write longhand, on a laptop, tablet, etc.

the Ah-Ha moments would come at the worst possible times ~ while driving or taking a shower ~ where there’s limited access to the tools of the trade: pen/paper/keyboard. Fortunately, there’s the Smartphone. You’d prevent a good idea from escaping by texting or emailing yourself, or talking out a scene into the voice-recording app.

IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, What would I tell a beginning writer to never do/always do?

You'd tell a beginning writer to know how the story ends. If you know the destination, you can plot backward to the cute-meet, steering the characters in the right direction along the way.

IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, What would be the name of my last book or upcoming release? What genre and length. Do I have a tagline for that book?

Your first published story called Sleeping with Santa ~ a contemporary holiday romance, about 55K words ~ would be arriving December 3, 2014, from The Wild Rose Press. 




Follow Me on Pinterest

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me on your blogspot, Lynda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for being my guest, Debra. I could really relate to your answer about visiting book stores. It's one of the few times I don't want companions with me. I like to spend a couple hours at a time, drinking coffee and sampling books that catch my eye. I treasure that time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the interview, Debra! I respect those who write while also managing family duties. You do it all!I enjoyed the interview, Debra! I respect those who write while also managing family duties. You do it all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview, Debra. I have a cat that keeps me company while I'm writing. Usually, he's trying to chew on the corner of the laptop in an attempt to get my attention. :) Best wishes for great sales.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dog Lou keeps me company while I write. I hear her gentle snoring under my desk while I'm typing. Somehow it's very comforting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lynda, Ashantay, Katherine, and Jana ~ Thank you all for reading and commenting.

    Lynda, Thank you for hosting me today ~ Book stores and library are sooo great for being alone in public ~ But with my butterfingers, I'd never dare to juggle coffee around books unless I already own them ~ Coffee in a book store must be like a yummy cocktail in a swanky bar : )

    Ashantay ~ I'm glad you enjoyed the post ~ I can never do it all, that's the problem ~ something is always falling through the cracks ~ The laundry around here looks like it multiplies by the hour! lol

    Katherine ~ My dog thinks he's a cat bc he wants to sit on the desktop ~ And I'm so bad I let him ~ Thank you for the well-wishes.

    Jana ~ Lou sounds like my Teddy Bear ~ Snoozing away while I'm typing ~ He prefers when I work the bed so he can occupy the space between my knees, with his tush tucked under the laptop table.

    Thanks again, and Good Luck to whatever projects you have going on!
    Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and A Prosperous New Year, always,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. My best ideas come when I'm in the shower, driving, or on the treadmill so I really get that. I just pray the idea stays in my head long enough so I can write it down later. Good luck with the book.

    ReplyDelete