Saturday, December 6, 2014

IF YOU WERE ME AND WROTE BOOKS by Laura Strickland

#Hobbit-Cottage #Cows #Fuzzy #Gnomes

I found this tagline on Author Laura Strickland's website: "Where legend comes to life!" Just perusing the covers of her books will send a reader tumbling into a new and exciting world. Of course, I wanted to know more about this writer...


It’s a pleasure to be here today! I’ve enjoyed reading the previous interviews in this series and I had fun with your imaginative questions. It’s nice to put the focus on the writers and find out what’s behind their books. Thanks so much for including me.


IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Where would I live?

You would live in a magical place almost completely surrounded by water and

only nine miles south of Lake Ontario in Western New York. The house is tiny, a hobbit-cottage heated by wood and enlivened with the love of a dog. Trees stand tall here and they catch the moon in their branches when she sails by at night. The cows on your road outnumber the humans about 100-1!

IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS,
What things would inspire me?

You would be inspired by the long-ago, by our ancestors both wise and foolish who lived difficult lives and yet still found time to spin tales and sing songs. You would be inspired by music and the beauty that has endured to be passed down through the ages. You would want to write of these people, bring them back to life, and show that in their hearts they’re really not so very different from us!

IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS,
Do I consider writing a job, a vocation, a hobby, or a passion?

You don’t consider writing a job, because a job is work. You wouldn’t consider it a hobby because that’s far too casual a label. A vocation? Possibly, but how dull does that sound? A passion comes close but “addiction” fits best of all! It’s just like the old orange juice commercial: a day without writing is like a day without sunshine.

IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS,
Do I have any critters that keep me company while writing? 

Your dog would never be far from your side. You tend to get up very early in the morning in order to write while the world’s quiet, and your faithful dog trails

your heels. You start the fire in the wood stove and then settle in to the coziest and best minutes of your day when it’s just you, the dog, and the world you’re creating on the page. (I’ve had many dogs over the years, and have vowed to rescue from now on. The latest rescue, who joined our family in August, is named Jessie and she’s a sweet little lamb-kins.)

IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, How would I explain to a five-year-old why a tennis ball is fuzzy?

You would look the child directly in his/her wide eyes and say, “Well you see, dear, the tennis ball is fuzzy because he’s not old enough to shave yet. When he grows up he’ll buy a razor and become a baseball.”

IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, And I was stuck in solitary confinement, what five items would I most want with me?

You would consider a stretch of solitary confinement as a nice opportunity to write without interruptions. It’s not likely the jailers would allow a laptop, so the best five items to take would be: a good, thick spiral notebook to scrawl out the story longhand, a pen, a nice warm quilt, a pillow and twenty-five pounds of chocolate.

IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, How would I describe a garden gnome or fairy house?

You would say, “Welcome to the household of Gerome Gnome! Step carefully over the threshold, down into the hollow tree and into our parlor. As you can see, the walls are hung with patterns of moss and lichen, and the roof is made from the woven branches of trees. Here’s my wife’s kitchen; you’ll admire her delicate teacups crafted from flowers grown in her garden: morning glories, daffodils and roses that she’s glazed in her kiln. Her tea cloths are made from the fragrant leaves of raspberry bushes. Up there you can see where we sleep in hammocks I made myself out of grape vines. When the wind blows, it rocks us to sleep!

6 comments:

  1. What a terrific, imaginative and whimsical interview! I love your tennis ball answer - had me laughing out loud, and I still giggle at the thought. Legends truly do come to life in your writing! And so do you in this interview. All best wishes for many sales!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashantay, I'm glad you enjoyed my interview. Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Lynda, I loved doing this interview! Thanks for hosting me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, it was a pleasure. And I agree with Ashantay, your answer to the tennis ball question was grea. And I love the fields of grass, even though I didn't see a single cow. :)

      Delete
    2. The cows were all hiding from the camera because they hadn't had their nails done.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely setting you work in. You've made it sound so ideal - the wood stove, rescue dogs - that I feel like dropping in for the peace and warmth. Well done, Laura.

    ReplyDelete