Tuesday, December 2, 2014

IF YOU WERE ME AND WROTE BOOKS by Lexi Lawton

Lexi, thank you for taking time in your busy schedule to visit with me today. Since you're just getting started in your publishing career, I know interviews can be scary. So I'm happy that you were gracious enough to have some fun with my questions. Why don't you introduce yourself to our readers.

Hello, everyone! I’m Lexi Lawton, author of the short story, CHRISTMAS CONFESSIONS. I’m fairly new in my publishing journey, but since I tend to have a natural talent for wordsmithing, I figured why not act like a know-it-all and spread my knowledge around the internet? So, thank you, Lynda, for allowing me to stop by your blog today and tell you all about how to be a writer like me! 

Before I start answering your questions, Lynda, let me leave an open invitation, I love visitors. You can find me on Twitter and Facebook. Now, let's begin:

● IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Would I be doing lots of research?

Oh, heck no! lol. I do the very bare minimum when it comes to research. I did a lot of research while in college and working as a paralegal. I think that’s the reason I shy away from it now. I know it’s the reason I prefer to write contemporaries because it’s the world I live in, so most of the knowledge I need is in my head and doesn’t require research. But, when I do have to look something up, I turn to Google or to someone I know who is an expert in the field.

● IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Do I have any critters that keep me company while writing?

Yes! It’s impossible to write without a little help. I tend to get a lot of it from my pit bull, Nico. When I’m stuck on a scene, I’ll stop and play with his floppy ears for a bit; and I’ll rub his fuzzy head. Sometimes it helps. Other times I get distracted and end up scratching his belly for much longer than necessary.


● IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, What are the top five items on my priority list?

Pepsi, my “Ideas” notebook, my favorite pen, my cell phone, and the TV remote. Once I sit down to write, I hate to have to get up, so I always try to have everything within reach. Once I do get interrupted and have to get up, I lose my groove, and then it’s almost impossible to get right back into it.



● IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Do I write for myself or my readers?

Both! Long before I became a writer, I was (and still am) an avid reader. So, I write books I would want to read, and hopefully that translates to books other people want to read, too.

● IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Do I consider writing a job, a vocation, a hobby, or a passion?

It’s a job I’m passionate about, which makes it the greatest job in the world! There are days when I would prefer to just waste time on the internet, but I make myself write every single day. Some days the words come easier than others, but I don’t write when I have time. I always make time to write. If I didn’t, I wouldn’t be where I am today in my career.

● IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Do I write longhand, on a laptop, tablet, etc.

The simple answer: Yes! Lol. I do a majority of writing on my laptop, but the days I can’t seem to concentrate and spend more time on social media, I will shut off the computer and write longhand. There’s nothing quite like the feeling of a pen and paper. Also, I have a severe “office supply” addiction and LOVE to buy pens and notebooks and organizers. Writing longhand justifies my many trips to Staples.

● IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Would I have a website or blog? If so, where can they be found? Do I offer promo features for other writers on my blog?

I know plenty of authors who have a website and a blog. I have both of mine combined into one. I find it to be easier that way. It can be found here: https://lexilawton.blogspot.com. I’ll admit, I’m bad and keeping up on the blogging aspect of it. And even though I don’t have any consistent or formal author promo opportunities on my blog, I do welcome authors to reach out to me. I’m a firm believer in networking and helping my fellow authors in any way I can. 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks again, Lynda, for having me on your blog today! Your questions were so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're Welcome. Your little Nico looks quite comfortable in his roll as writer's assistant. Best of success with your writing endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed the interview, and the pictures! Thanks for posting! :D

    ReplyDelete