Saturday, December 13, 2014

IF YOU WERE ME AND WROTE BOOKS by SANDRA S. KERNS


#Butterfly Bride #Sock Monkees #Nachos #Pantser #Plotting #BAM #Blogging



Sandra, It's pleasure to have you visit with us here at Between The Pages. IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, where would I presently be in my writing career?

You would be finishing up your second full year of being published and really enjoying it because you retired in the spring and can now play with your characters full time like the ones in “Butterfly Bride” your Christmas novella coming out, oh wow, NOW, which is amazing considering the state of your office.




 IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, What would my writing space look like? 

Your space would be messy. I know, I know, you tell yourself you really should organize the papers and do you really need all the stuffed animals? However, organizing takes away from your writing time and all those cute little stuffed animals have special memories to go with them. There’s also the fact that the sock munkees (I know that’s spelled wrong, but the they insist that’s how THEY spell it) are an integral part of your blogging and promotion. You can’t get ride of them.

IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Would I also have other hobbies, if so, what kind? 

Of course, you would have other hobbies. You need to take a break from your characters once in a while or you would end up with too many split personalities. You have a number of hobbies actually, but your favorite is sewing/quilting, hence more mess in your office (see sewing machine in above pic). The piles of shorts and; usually dresses will eventually make it to missionaries that the sewing circle you belong to supports. The quilt you’re making for your son and new daughter-in-law WILL get made, but until then glancing at the fabrics reminds you their anniversary isn’t until June so you still have time to type a little longer.

IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, What would I eat for a typical lunch? 

Nachos while watching Netflix in your office because it’s easier than maneuvering the 3 clickers in the family room. Plus, your computer screen (and Rudy) are staring at you the entire time you eat so guilt creeps in when you finish and you have to get back to work.

 IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Do I have any critters that keep me company while writing? 

Rudy, or Rudykins, or Mr. Rudymeister, whichever name you want to use. He will come and go as the mood strikes him. Sometimes he will walk through to make sure you are working and then leave to find a good place to nap. Other times he sits beside you and hits you with his paw to tell you it’s time to take a break and take him for a walk. It’s a good thing, otherwise you would grow roots in your chair and never be able to move again.


IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Do I write for myself or my readers? 

You started out, writing for yourself and then a miracle happened. People bought your books and wanted more! Your first series that was supposed to be three books is still going (4 full length, 1 novella, and the next book in process) strong and readers still want more of the Masters Men! You’re awed, amazed, and thrilled!

IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, What's the best/worse comments I've received from a fan or critic?  

The worst comment you ever received was; “I would not repeat not recommend this book to any of my friends... .unless they are having trouble sleeping.” and you would wonder why, if it was so terrible they bothered to give it even one star. You would wallow for about five minutes before remembering your favorite (and very first review) comment; “Is it possible to have both your brains blown out AND your socks blown off at the same time? YOU BETCHA' SWEET MASTERS MEN IT IS!!!! I LOVE buying books on a whim (not good on the credit card I tell 'ya :)) AND being blown away by the story! And with Her Master Defender I was!!!”Then you would take a deep breath and get back to work because you can’t let that reader down!

 IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, would I be a Pantser or Plotter? 

You would definitely be a pantser because again, you don’t do organized well. Although, to be honest that’s not the real reason. You’ve tried (and keep trying) to plot because people tell you you’ll write faster if you do. Well, yeah, I’d write faster because as soon as the plotting outline is done, I’m done. I know the entire story and am not interested anymore so that book’s done, or actually, that book never gets written.  So, you don’t plot, you let things (mainly characters) percolate in your mind for a while. You know them very well by the time you sit down to write their story. The reason you still have fun writing that story is because those darned characters you thought you knew so well start taking left turns when you want them to turn right and lead you in a totally different direction (usually much better). It’s kind of like life. You think you’ve got a plan for your day and then BAM someone throws a wrench into it and you have to rearrange the schedule.

IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Would I have a website or blog? If so, where can they be found? Do I offer promo features for other writers on my blog? 

Yes, of course you would have a website and blog because you’re an Indie author and have to get your name out there somehow, silly. You would go to: http://sandrakerns.com Yes, you do offer promo opportunities for other authors, but you haven’t gotten yourself organized well (see question1) so it’s not on a regular basis. However, you do have a fun partner for blogging. His name is Sock Munkee, Jr. He loves to talk about his travels and exciting jaunts you take him on for ‘research.’ He also attends writing events with you and dresses accordingly (That’s him at the CRW Reader’s Tea in 2013). One of his favorite activities is having his picture taken to promote your books. Yes, he can be a camera hog but he’s so cute you really don’t mind.

Thanks for stopping by and getting to know 'you' as a writer. I hope you enjoyed yourself as much as I did.


#Butterfly Bride #Sock Monkees #Nachos #Pantser #Plotting #BAM #Blogging



Follow Me on Pinterest

6 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the interview! My sock monkees send best wishes to yours -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Lil Sock just went on vacation with me to the Virgin Islands. I'll be posting pictures this week on my website. sandrakerns.com

      Delete
  2. LOVED your attitude about the worst and then the best reviews. What an awesome way to view both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took a while to get this tough skin, but I work much better now. The really bad reviews are few which makes it easier. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. Great getting to know you, Sandra. I, too, loved your take on the reviews! Best of luck with the novella!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, thanks for stopping by. Reviews, both good and bad help make me a better writer, so I try to handle them with grace. That's why I started thinking of things this way. It really helps. Thanks for the good wishes, my novella comes out in two days!

      Delete