Tuesday, December 16, 2014

IF YOU WERE ME AND WROTE BOOKS By Loretta C. Rogers

 #Elvis #Junk Food @RWA @TWRP #Pajamas #Mojito #Insanity

Loretta, I really enjoyed reading through your answers. I envy your sense of humor and how easily it comes through in your writing. Thank you for answering my questions.

Thanks Lynda for hosting me today. All of the questions were great which made it difficult to decide which ones I wanted YOU to answer. I had a lot of fun coming up with answers, so here we goooo…

1. IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Do I consider my writing a job, a vocation, a hobby, or a passion?

You'd consider writing a passion.

Let me explain. I'm really a very sane person, but somewhere inside my brain is a world filled with characters begging to have their stories told. Just like the wax figures in the movie “Night in the Museum,” come alive at night, the cowboys, gunslingers, pioneers, mail-order brides, war heroes, Native Americans, all seem to awaken from their days of sleeping to visit in my dreams. Whether figments of imagination or people I might have known in other lifetimes, I am passionate about telling their stories. Geez, I hope this doesn’t make me a candidate for the loony bin. Besides, I get to go to work in my pajamas, eat junk food, find excuses for not exercising, and not have to worry about wearing make-up.

2. IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Do I belong to any writing groups, if so, why.

You'd belong to Romance Writers of American, but your local group is Sunshine State Romance Authors.

Our logo is the mermaid. Like all mermaids, I sometimes tread water; especially if my story is stalled. And like the sirens of the sea, I get to lure heroes and heroines into uncharted territories. And there’s nothing like making a big mermaid splash when signing a new book contract. Seriously, having the camaraderie of fellow writers to cheer you when you’re down, to motivate you when the writing slumps happen, to simply talk about writing, and to celebrate each writing victory with you is healthy stimulation and essential to keeping the creative juices vitalized.

3. IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Would I have made a Million $ on my first book?

Well, of course you would dahling, don’t all authors make a Million $ on their first book, along with the multi-million $ movie contract, and with Mathew McConaughey, Tom Hanks, Julia Roberts, or other famous actors clamoring for the major roles.

I can hardly wait to pick out my fancy gown, glittering jewels, walk the red carpet, smooze with Ron Howard, Stephen Spielberg, and make my acceptance speech when I’m handed the Oscar for best writer. Oh, please don’t awaken me from this fabulous dream!

4. IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Would I get excited over seeing my book cover for the first time?

I need to remove my fun mask, and put on my serious mask to answer this question, but I promise not to drone on and on. As a complete newbie, I had no idea what to expect for my first book cover. Nicola Martinez (The Wild Rose Press) designed the book cover for Isabelle and the Outlaw. The day the mock up arrived in my email, I giggled like an excited child who had just opened the most fabulous gift. I squealed with delight, jumped for joy, couldn’t wait to show the cover off to all my friends and family. I knew readers would love it as much I did and still do. Wow! Being spoiled by this first book cover, I thought all publishers would provide beautiful artwork. Not so. When the book cover for The Twisted Trail arrived, I sobbed (really as in actual tears). The cover was and still remains--orangish-brown, with stick figure cowboys wearing pith helmets, and riding mules. Did I mention that I sobbed? I also agonized. If I complained would I get another contract from Avalon Books? I did, but the covers never excited me.

5. IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Would I love doing book signings, personal appearance, etc?

Absolutely!You'd love meeting, and talking with people.

In fact, my nickname is M&M, which has nothing to do with those little candies that melt in your mouth, and everything to do with “Motor Mouth.” Just like there’s nothing shy about my hero or heroines, or villains, there’s nothing timid about me. I really like wearing my pjs and going barefoot while sitting at my computer conjuring up different ways to put my protagonists in impossible situations then figuring how to rescue them, but every once in a while it’s nice to dress-up and greet the world just to interact with ‘real’ people. Getting out of my writing den lets me know I'm still sane.


6. IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOK, Do I have a favorite color, movie, ice cream flavor, and drink?

Your favorite color would be evenly balanced between blue and red. Blue for cool and calm, red for power. Movies--hmmm, “Heartbreak Ridge.” Clint Eastwood’s gravely-voiced character, Gunny Highway is a hard-nosed Marine who cares about his country and the men in his command.

My favorite line is: “improvise, adapt, and overcome.” Isn’t that what we do as writers: improvise, adapt and overcome? As for ice cream, chocolate-vanilla swirl, and favorite drink: regular -- Mountain Dew; alcoholic--mojito. Cheers!

7. IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, And I was stuck in solitary confinement, what five items would I most want with me?

When I'm on deadline, my office feels like solitary confinement. But, here we go: you'd want a case of Toilet paper (that one doesn’t need explaining); laptop with electrical cord (hopefully the cell has wiifii); floor-to-ceiling poster of Tom Selleck, Elvis Presley, Eric Close, Hugh Jackman, and Clint Eastwood (all in their younger days) to keep me company, a pillow, and an electric drill. (the drill is for obvious reasons).

8. IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Would I be writing alone, or do I allow others in my space while writing?
When You walk into your office the only beings allowed are your two dogs.

Baby Girl and Buddy don’t talk (they do snore), they keep my feet warm, and they get me out of my typing chair by reminding me it’s time to take them out for their daily doodle walks. Otherwise, it’s just me, the dogs, and the characters I'm creating. Everyone else has to abide by the “Knock before entering,” rule.

One last thing, Lynda. I wonder what a psychiatrist would think of some of my answers? Hmm!


You can follow Loretta C. Rogers at these locations:
Website
Facebook
Avalon Authors on FaceBook
Montlake Authors on FaceBook




Follow Me on Pinterest

24 comments:

  1. For everyone else - I had the pleasure of sitting next to Loretta, (aka M&M) at a dinner one night. She's just as delightful in person.
    For Loretta - I lift my Mojito to you, girl. Keep those books coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, hopefully we'll get to see each other again. I'd love to chat with you. Cheers, and Happy Writing!

      Delete
    2. Hi Sandra, did she live up to her M&M tag - Motor Mouth? I love that, Loretta, because mine is WENI- Walking Encyclopedia of Nonessential Information. LOL

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed learning more about you, Loretta! The crazy gene runs wild in writers, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ashantay, have to tell you, I really like your name. Yep, we writers live in our own little wacky world. God love us!

      Delete
    2. I agree, Ashantay is a beautiful name.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. Thanks for liking my name - I like it, too!

      Delete
  3. Cool blog, Loretta. Really had a chuckle over all us authors making a million bucks. Yeah, we wish. LOL Happy Holidays to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Hebby, when your millions start rolling in, call me. We'll do lunch. Seriously, thanks for leaving a comment. Hope your New Year brings joy and peace.

      Delete
    2. Well, as the saying goes around here. I've given up on the 1st million and started working on the 2nd. It's a good thing we writers love what we do!

      Delete
    3. I hear ya, loud and clear, Lynda. I love to spend those $$$ in my imaginary world.

      Delete
  4. Really fun post to read! Love your humor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by, Sydney. Sending Happy Holiday wishes to you.

      Delete
  5. What a fun interview, Loretta! Nicola Martinez did my first cover, too (for Harvest of Dreams), and I still think it's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alison. I had fun answering the questions. I think Harvest of Dreams has a beautiful cover, too. We're so lucky to have such talented graphic artists.

      Delete
  6. Delightful interview! Since we share the same last name and are writing pals, maybe you wouldn't mind sharing what I'm sure is a full length Elvis pic? http://flossiebentonrogers.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I'm willing to share. That's what friends are for.

      Delete
  7. Hi Loretta--
    Best interview ever! It's fun getting to know more about you. I agree, as much as we authors love our quiet writing time it sure is nice when we get out in the world and meet/talk to actual people :-) Good luck with your books!
    Victoria--

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Victoria. There were about 50 questions. It was difficult trying to choose eight to answer. I appreciate you dropping by and leaving a comment.

      Delete
  8. Nice interview. Interesting format. Kudos to both of you, Loretta and Lynda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We appreciate you dropping by Sandy. Have a wonderful evening.

      Delete
  9. So sorry you haven't received your million dollars for your first book. Perhaps the check is in the mail! I'm still waiting for mine! It's nice to learn more about you, Loretta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jana. I think my check got lost in the mail.:p As writers we dream big, so might as well dream about movie deals and mega $$'s. Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete