Saturday, March 14, 2015

Author Interview - IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS - Author Nicki Greenwood

It's my pleasure to introduce Romance author Nicki Greenwood!

Nicki graduated SUNY Morrisville with a degree in Natural Resources. She found her passion in writing stories of romantic adventure, and combines that with her love of the environment. Her works have won several awards, including the Rebecca Eddy Memorial Contest. Her first book, EARTH, debuted in 2010 through The Wild Rose Press. Nicki lives in upstate New York with her husband, son, and assorted pets. When she's not writing, she enjoys the arts, gardening, interior decorating, and trips to the local Renaissance Faire. Today, Nicki answers some burning questions about the writing life.



(Lynda Asks:) IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, What would my writing space look like?
This is where I sit and kill time on Pinterest ...  I mean, where I write.  A writing space should be comfortable, of course, but it should also be full of interesting things that might spark an idea.  I cleaned out my office this year, and trimmed it down to the things I know I'll use.  This unusually clean desk is the result.

(Lynda) I love these type of desks. I bought my husband one and now wish it were mine. :)

(Lynda Asks:) IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, What would be my favorite restaurant and why?
Panera Bread.  I love their everything.



(Lynda Asks:) IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, What do I think of the publishing industry as a whole and my publisher/publishers in particular.
These days, the only constant is change.  Once upon a time, a self-published author was frowned upon, but now, it's becoming one of the most popular ways to get yourself into print.  Any author with the drive and the willingness to learn can get published.  It's just a matter of learning the many avenues, and choosing which one to take.  No one way is correct.  I chose The Wild Rose Press, and I haven't looked back.  They've been chosen Best Publisher six years running (at the time of this blog post) by Preditors & Editors for a reason: they are!  They care about their authors, and I love being one of them.

(Lynda Asks:) IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Do I have a favorite writing spot inside/outside my home, such as a chair, corner, desk, patio area, etc. 
This is my summer haunt.  My family doesn't have a lot of vacation time or funds, so we generally spend our summers roaming around outside.  My front bench is the perfect place to kick back and write while I watch the world go by.  I live on a busy road, so I cut the road noise down with an absolute plethora of wind chimes out front.  My neighbors probably think I'm a kooky New Age lady (and they wouldn't be far off).

(Lynda Asks:) IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS,  How would the first 2-4 paragraphs read when using this prompt - "Lady, I want you out of my car!"?

"Lady, I want you out of my car!"

Ignoring for a moment the protest of the man sitting beside her, Jules Keaton glanced out the one-way glass window of the stretch limousine at her player ex-boyfriend.  Ben was already on his next play, an hourglass figure in stiletto heels and enough makeup to run Hollywood for a month.  The two giggled and flirted like oversexed teenagers on a first date.  Ignoring a stab of pain, Jules swiveled back to the tuxedo-clad Adonis on the leather seat beside her.  He stared at her with something between outrage and worry - not surprising, since she'd ducked under his chauffeur's arm and slid into the seat without knowing him from Adam.  She gave him her most pleading expression.  "How would you like to make fifty bucks for thirty seconds of effort?"

His golden, perfectly arched brow spoke volumes, but Jules explained that all she wanted was for him to walk her into the theater.  While she explained the plan, he glanced out her window, his striking blue eyes scanning the crowd.  She tried not to follow suit, but couldn't help stealing one more heartbroken look at Ben and his new hottie.  So much for that six months of dreams.

The Adonis - Matthew Callahan - sat back in his seat with that golden eyebrow still aloft.  Jules feared he'd seen right through her ... but then, to her shock, he agreed.  He reopened her door and waved to his chauffeur, who assisted her out of the limousine.  Matthew emerged from the other side.  He took her arm, ignoring the stares and flashing cameras of paparazzi gathered for the event.  Smiling, tall, handsome, perfect.  Most especially, not Ben.  Taking his arm, she beamed.  Even if she went home alone and miserable tonight, she could have her thirty seconds of happiness while Matthew Callahan got her and what remained of her dignity past the man who'd stomped all over her heart.  They sailed past Ben, whose mouth fell open when he recognized her, but he didn't dare approach them.   Relief flooded her.  No way could he drag her into some lurid scene staged for his benefit now.  They were almost into the theater, where she could let the shadows hide her misery ... when Matthew Slater paused at the door, whispered, "Forget him.  He's not worth it," and laid a toe-curling kiss on her lips.

Nicki's Website: http://www.nickigreenwood.com
Nicki's Blog: http://nickigreenwood.blogspot.com
Nicki's Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/Nicki.Greenwood.Author
Nicki on Twitter: https://twitter.com/nickigreenwood



Follow Me on Pinterest

10 comments:

  1. Great Interview. I love the paragraphs you came u with after the prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, heck, don't stop there! What happens next?!?! I'm totally jealous of your beautiful, neat desk. I also have a beautiful desk, but it's--um--hibernating under a few papers. Piles of papers. For warmth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice to meet you Nicki. Your desk is wonderful, but I really love that bench. I'm an outdoor girl too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, nice prompt story, Nicki. I am so impressed at the neat desk! Best of luck with the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very neat desk, Nicki. Most days mine looks like a dump site, so I'm in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your kind comments. I love my desk! I always wanted a rolltop and landed this one as a lucky find. It is NOT always that neat, LOL.

    I did notice I must have renamed the hero of that mini-scene at the end. *cringe* Well, if I do write a longer story based on that bit, I will have to make sure of his name, won't I? LOL - have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved your interview. Can totally agree with the part about wasting time on Pinterest, though I do love the site. Congratulations, and hoping you many sales!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Agreed - Pinterest is crack for the artistic! I can kill hours on there before I realize it. OTOH, have found many awesome ideas for decorating AND writing on there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoyed your interview! Thanks for the smiles on this (in NC) cloudy day. Best wishes for a a long and successful writing career!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Ashantay! It's cloudy here, but at least it's beginning to trend toward rain. I'm so ready for Spring!

    ReplyDelete