Saturday, March 28, 2015

Author Interview: IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS with Mary Morgan

My guest today is Mary Morgan, author of stories that take readers into the world of Dragons and Knights. When I read this excerpt from Mary's website, I knew she was a kindred soul.

"I am a constant daydreamer and have been told quite often to remove my head from the clouds. Yet, this is where I find the magic to write my stories."


(Lynda) Welcome Mary.

(Mary) Thank you, Lynda, for allowing me to share a “wee” bit about myself to your readers on your blog. It’s my way of stepping out from my writer’s den to chitchat with everyone for a few hours. I even baked scones for my visit today. 

(Lynda) And they smell so good. I've tried making authentic scones several time. I think I'm getting better with each batch

(Lynda Asks:) IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, What would my writing space look like? (Photo would be good here)

(Mary)
I have this cozy corner in my bedroom with a huge window that looks out into my garden.
There are times when my focus wanders, and I find myself watching all the little birds. I use two writing desks—one is almost 400 years old, and the other desk belonged to my father. Since I write medieval stories, I have a collection of swords nearby and period paintings, which helps to inspire the spark of creativity.

(Lynda Asks:) IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, What would I do when taking a break from writing?

(Mary) I love to be in my kitchen! Cooking is one of the best ways to unwind after a long day of writing. It’s so relaxing, and I find my energy soars after I prepare a meal. Of course, I talk non-stop to my husband on any new ideas and/or plots that pop-up during my writing day.

(Lynda Asks:) IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Would I get excited over seeing my book cover for the first time?

(Mary) Absolutely! I get giddy like a kid at Christmas. I will hold my breath as the email is downloading and then I usually burst into tears. I’ve been so blessed with two fabulous covers and getting excited for the next one.

(Lynda Asks:) IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Would I love doing book signings, personal appearances, etc.?

(Mary) Love doing book signings! It’s my chance to get out there and talk to readers. I worked as a bookseller for Borders Books, and I miss the interaction with people and talking about my favorite subject—books! I’ve done two signings at the Scottish Highland Games here in California and had a fantastic time, so more are definitely planned for this year.

(Lynda Asks:) IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Would I also read a lot, if so, how do I fit that into my schedule and why is it important to me?

(Mary) Reading is my quiet time to escape from my own world of characters chatting non-stop in my head. On most days, you’ll find my nose in a book an hour or so before bedtime. I read so many different genres depending on my mood, too. At the moment, I’m reading “The Missing Manuscript of Jane Austen” by Syrie James.

(Lynda Asks:) IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, What would I tell a beginning writer to never do/always do?

(Mary) I would tell a beginning writer to never give up and always believe in your dream.


Find Mary Here:

Website:  http://www.marymorganauthor.com

Amazon Author Page:  http://www.amazon.com/Mary-Morgan/e/B00KPE3NWI/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mary.morgan.564

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/m_morganauthor

Pinterest:  http://www.pinterest.com/marymorgan50




21 comments:

  1. Thanks so much, Katie for stopping by. I had so much fun doing this interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the interview. Mary, your neat writing space is impressive. Such organization is, face it, beyond me ;) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since it's in my bedroom, Barbara, I tend to keep it tidy. Yet, it only looks this way in the morning and after I'm done for the day. At the moment, it's a mess everywhere, lol! Thanks for stopping by today. :)

      Delete
  3. Wonderful interview. Mary, I'm a little jealous, the Highland games! What fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Marlow...it was the best signing ever! I've been attending the San Francisco Games for over twenty years, so to be an author signing--fantastic! I'm doing more signings at the games this year, too.

      Delete
    2. Also, thanks for stopping by, Marlow. :)

      Delete
  4. Enjoyed the interview! And I LOVE the yummy cover on your newest book, posted after you wrote this, I'm sure. I think I've read the Syrie James book, but if not, will check it out. Just finished Unleashing Mr. Darcy, which was a fun contemporary tale, if you like the Austen connection. And PD James's Death at Pemberly was excellent! Can you tell I like to talk about books, too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!! Love my new cover! And I did cry a few tears, lol! Love Debbie Taylor. She nailed the hero and his elemental power of the land. I was a former bookseller for Borders Books, so I LOVE to talk about books, Ashantay. Also, PD James is another favorite of mine. I'll have to check out Unleashing Mr. Darcy. Thanks so much for stopping by today. :)

      Delete
  5. I love the thought of writing medieval stories on a 400 year old desk! Great interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra, I often rub my hand over the wood imagining the person(s) who previously owned the desk. Thanks for stopping by today. :)

      Delete
  6. I love this series, and seeing an interview with Mary Morgan, one of my favorites, is a treat. Such a warm and talented lady! Best of luck, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Laura, thank you! You're so kind, my friend. Hugs to you! Thanks so much for stopping by today! :)

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Loved being here on Lynda's blog--her home. :) Thanks so much for stopping by, Nicole. xoxo

      Delete
  8. Mary is a terrific writer and a wonderful friend. She is bubbly and enchanting. You will love her stories and fall in love with her heroines and heroes. You will fall into the realm of magic and not want to leave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, love you so much, dear friend. You are a treasure, too. And I'm blessed that you love my stories so much. Thanks for stopping by today.

      Delete
  9. Thanks so much to my guest, Author Mary Morgan, and all those supportive people who dropped in. And a special thanks to all those who left a comment. Best of success to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you, Lynda! This was so much fun. :)

      Delete
  10. I love the pictures and hearing about your office and hobbies. Looking forward to your next book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary! :) It took me a while to find the balance and get back to some of my hobbies. Now that spring is here, I have to carve out time for my garden.

      Delete