Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Author Interview: IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS with Kathryn Freeman

My guest today is author Kathryn Freeman. Kathryn is visiting with us today all the way from a small village on the Thames in England. Kathryn, it's a pleasure to have you with me today and I can't wait to get into the interview, so why don't we get started.

(Kathryn) I’m so grateful to Lynda for allowing me onto her blog today to share with you a little about me, and my writing. As my friends will say, I do like to talk…

The Long Walk - Windsor Castle
(Lynda Asks:) Kathryn, IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Where would I live?

(Kathryn) I live in England, in a village on the Thames close to Windsor – and I love it. We make the most of living near a royal park and can often be seen walking, running or cycling round Windsor Great Park. Here is a photo of the castle, looking down from the top of the Long Walk on Christmas day. Pretty special. Even the sun came out.

(Lynda Asks:) IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Do I write for myself or my readers?

(Kathryn) I would love to write for my readers, to ask them what would they like from me next, but I don’t think I could actually manage it. Friends have often said ‘I’ve got a great idea for a book for you,’ but, though I might agree the idea is great, I can never put any of it down on paper. My books come from within me somewhere. They ‘pop’ out when I least expect it. So I’m afraid the answer to this is – I write for myself and hope others will like it, too.

(Lynda) I'm glad to hear you say this, Kathryn, because I feel the same way. People have often asked why I don't write in some other genre, but it's hard to explain that those stories don't pop into my head and take residence, unlike the stories I do write, the ones that just won't leave until I get them down on paper.

(Lynda Asks:) IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Do I let my significant other be my beta reader, if not, who do I let read my work first?

(Kathryn) My husband has read most of my books, though I’m not sure it is a good idea for either the book or our relationship! He doesn’t even enjoy reading fiction, let alone romantic fiction, so can be a harsh critic. I’ve had to put up with a lot of comments like does she have a heart disorder when I’ve said my heroine’s heart is racing/pounding/fluttering etc. On the plus side he’s good at picking out inconsistencies and parts where the plot doesn’t quite gel, so over time I’ve learnt what to accept and what to ignore. Of course he thinks I take all his comments on board…

(Lynda) That's too funny. I love the 'heart disorder' question. A typical man response....LOL

(Lynda Asks:) IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Would I get excited over seeing my book cover for the first time?

(Kathryn) Oh boy yes! When I see the email come in my heart actually starts to thump as I click on the email. I’ve never been disappointed because I still can’t believe I have my name on the cover of a book. The first cover I saw was for my paperback, Do Opposites Attract. The pink shoes did it for me. My most recent cover was for Life After, which features Jake, a sexy carpenter who suffered such a traumatic incident a few years ago he now thinks of his life in two parts. Life before, and life after.

(Lynda Asks:) IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, How important is a book's title to me?

(Kathryn) Very important – I just wish I was good at coming up with them. I was delighted with Life After because, for the first time ever, the title came to me before the book. To be more precise, it was the tag line, he saw his life in two parts, life before and life after, that came to mind. My other books have been the other way round and left me spending almost as long trying to magic up a title as it has to write the book itself.

(Lynda Asks:) IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, What would I tell a beginning writer to never do/always do?

(Kathryn) It sounds so obvious – if you want to write books, you need to write! It is the one certain way of becoming better. Even when I didn’t have a book contract, once I’d finished writing one book I immediately began on the next, and the next. While rejections flooded in I carried on writing. You have to believe in yourself and you have to keep writing.



(Lynda Asks:) IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, And I was stuck in solitary confinement, what five items would I most want with me?

(Kathryn) My Kindle, charger for my Kindle, as many bags of crisps (umm, that’s English – in America you call them chips!) as I could squeeze in, a kettle and some tea bags.



Thank you! I thoroughly enjoyed thinking about these answers to your wonderfully varied questions.


Website: http://kathrynfreeman.co.uk

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kathrynfreeman

Twitter: https://twitter.com/KathrynFreeman1



10 comments:

  1. I love England. I used to live in the Lake District. Worked there illegally. Love Brits. Had a girlfriend, sort of, from Nottingham. So, except for the weather, there's some envy for you. Good interview. I can't write about things not of me either. even if it's my fantasy, it needs to be the fantasy i'm in tune with, not someone elses. but you never know. good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to hear from an Anglophile! Thanks so much for dropping by and commenting.

      Delete
  2. Kathryn, it sounds like maybe you're living in Datchett? I used to live in Coleshill Bucks and then Chalfont St. Giles (and Larry, I also lived in the Lake District)-Imiss England. Great interview ladies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea - great powers of deduction - live about a mile from Datchet (Wraysbury). It's a small world isn't it?! Thanks so much for your kind comment

      Delete
  3. Wow, I was just writing about how I spent a lot of my youth in Berkshire, and taking the bus to Windsor on rainy Sunday afternoons. (You know, when there aren't many tourists.) I live in Canada now, but still manage to make it back about once a year.
    I agree with writing books for yourself there's just no other way to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've spent a fair few rainy afternoons in Windsor as well - but thankfully some sunny ones, too! Lovely to hear from you, and I hope next time you visit the sun shines on you :)

      Delete
  4. We're going to England in September and spend 10 days there, cannot wait!!! Being close to Windsor must be so exciting, and all the research opportunities. Makes my head spin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Hebby - thank you so much for dropping by. September is a wonderful time to visit the UK - we usually have our best weather then, so fingers crossed for you. I'm not sure where you're heading, but if it's London take the time to visit Windsor - you won't be disappointed. And if you need any help with your plans, don't hesitate to get in touch :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deborah C. WildingMarch 5, 2015 at 1:57 PM

    Hi Kathryn, I enjoyed learning about your writing philosophy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading the interview, Deborah - and for the lovely comment. Much appreciated :-)

      Delete