Tuesday, April 7, 2015

IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS with Mary Malcolm

Good Morning, Mary. Thank you so much for visiting with me today. I undestand that April is a special month for you. Can you tell us more about that?

 

(Mary) Hi Lynda! Thanks for having me here today. I’m so looking forward to the rerelease of my novella ‘Accidentally a Bride’ on April 8th (TOMORROW!!). I’m also excited because today is my mom’s birthday and I’m happy I get to send her a shout-out from your blog. Hi Mom! Happy Birthday!










(Lynda Asks) IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, What critters would keep us company while we wrote?
(Mary) I live in a very critter-full household. I’ve got three large dogs and a kitty cat. Depending on the time of day, at least one or two of these are in my lap at all times. I’m guessing they’d be all over you, too, they love to visit. My kitty doesn’t understand why I can’t hold her and write at the same time, so I actually have a vest I wear sometimes while I’m writing. She tucks into it and I write around her.

(Lynda Asks) IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Favorite writing spot?
(Mary) I do have a favorite writing spot! I have a large bookcase in my dining room and my desk is in the middle of the room, facing the bookcase. I tried to use an office for a while, but staring out the window did not inspire me. Staring at that bookcase does. Since my desk is in my dining room, I don’t have a kitchen table right now. When people come over to eat, we either gather around the desk or sit on the back porch.

(Lynda Asks) IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, What would we eat for a typical lunch?
(Mary) I love to cook. My day job is writing recipes for a blog, so I spend a lot of time in the kitchen. If we had lunch together, today we’d have crustless chicken pot pie with fresh baked yeast rolls. Mmmm! Yesterday it would have been Sour Watermelon Peeps.

(Lynda) YUM! Those rolls look amazingly delicious. I love to cook also, but I must confess, I've never heard of Sour Watermelon Peeps. I'll have to check into that culinary delight...



(Lynda Asks) IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Are there days I hate writing?
(Mary) Yes and no.
Yes. Sometimes writing can be a beat down. I want a book to go a certain way, but it just won’t. Or maybe I find myself struggling because my energy and inspiration are completely zapped. Maybe I’ve had a really rough day and I’ve got a deadline looming and it feels like too much...
Ultimately, though, I get to write. This is something that has been a lifelong dream of mine and so even with all those ‘yes’ things, I have to go with an overall, resounding No. Days like yesterday were rough because I had so much to do, but other than having candy for lunch, I’m really fortunate. I get to live the life I always dreamed...and how could anyone hate that?

(Lynda Asks) IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Would I prefer to live and write in a different era?
(Mary) Yes, actually! Sometimes, at least. I like to dream about living in a time where writers had sponsors and benefactors. I love the idea of being able to write all day and not have to worry about making a living (or paying for all my critters) outside of writing. Like I said, though, I’m pretty fortunate. Even though I have a day job, it’s a pretty awesome one. Things could be a lot worse for me.

(Lynda Asks) IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, What would I sincerely feel about editing, and editors?
(Mary) ‘Accidentally a Bride’ was one of the first stories I ever wrote after deciding to write romance. I always loved the main characters, Grant and Gwen, but I never liked the original ending. It didn’t feel complete. This new version is so much better with twenty thousand added words and a whole new ending. This is by far the funniest, snarkiest stories I’ve ever told and none of that would have been possible without my amazing editor, Cindy Davis. I’ll be honest. I hate editing. My favorite part of writing is that first draft where the story is fresh and new and full of possibilities. Even so, even as much as I hate the editing process, there is such a Huge difference between my first telling of any story and how it looks after my editor has sculpted it.


Links:
www.marymalcolm.com
www.facebook.com/authormarymalcolm

www.twitter.com/MarySonOfDuncan



9 comments:

  1. Great post, Mary! My husband's birthday is also today, which I guess proves only the best people were "borned" on this day! Best of luck with your release.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Tell your husband Happy Birthday from me. :)

      Delete
  2. Congrats on your new release! I know you are an excellent writer, and suspect Accidentally a Bride will be another fun read! Best wishes for lots of sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ashantay!! I had so much fun revising it and adding to it. This is truly my snarkiest, funniest book yet. I love Gwen and Grant and their story just makes me happy. *grin*

      Delete
  3. Loved your interview, Mary! I cook to de-stress after a long day of writing and those rolls look delicious! I want the recipe. Wishing you all the best with your new release tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary! Also, Mary is the best name ever, right?

      I'm working on making that recipe a little simpler, but I did just post a link for 7-UP Biscuits on the blog I work for. If you click on my Facebook page, I'll post the link for all to see.

      And as soon as I've retooled the recipe for these rolls a little, I'll share it, too! I like to share recipes that are easy enough for everyone to make. Not that I don't like the complicated ones (I love those), but I like people to know that they can make delicious food no matter what their cooking level is.

      Delete
  4. Cindy is my editor too. She has nearly had me in tears a few times, but she always makes my books better. Good luck with Accidental a Bride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I do love her so so much. She's been my editor now since 2009 and I've always loved the relationship we have. She's just a fantastic person. I'm so so blessed to have her.

      Delete
  5. Fun post! But you made me hungry! Cindy is my editor for my latest, too, and she is great. And so fast. I can't keep up with her. Best wishes on your book.

    ReplyDelete