Saturday, April 11, 2015

IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS with Brenda Whiteside

A big welcome to my guest today, Brenda Whiteside. I know you're a busy writer with lots of things happening in your world and I appreciate you setting aside time to visit with us.

Thanks for having me on Between the Pages today, Lynda. I'm honored to have a spot on your popular segment, IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS. I appreciate the opportunity to connect with more readers. So! Let's get started...


  (Lynda Asks:) IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Where would I live?

(Brenda) I live on the northern prairies of Arizona, a spot on the map called Paulden. We have a small family farm where we grow all of our plant food organically. For the last couple of years we’ve sold our pickles and relish at farmers’ markets. This year we are venturing into garlic on a commercial level.



(Lynda Asks:) IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, If I took a drive in the area I live, what might I see? 

(Brenda) Our prairie is covered in golden grass and flat. There are hills on every horizon. You’ll find big beautiful homes, farms and ranches in both directions as well as small unkempt homesteads.

(Lynda) What a beautiful view and just look at those deer! All I can say is: Are you excepting house guests? 

(Lynda Asks:) IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, What would I sincerely feel about editing, and editors?

(Brenda) Hate editing, love editors. I’ve been very lucky in my writing career so far. I’ve had two editors and have treasured both of them. My current editor has a great sense of humor, listens to my ideas, and is honest and straightforward in her task of polishing my manuscripts. She is usually spot on and I am a better writer because of her.

(Lynda Asks:) IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, How important is a book's title to me?

(Brenda) Very. I labor over them. And I get lots of input from my critique partners when I’m stumped. I want a reader to easily remember the title but also, once he or she has read it, to know how it fit the story.

(Lynda Asks:) IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Would I also read a lot, if so, how do I fit that into my schedule and why is it important to me?

(Brenda) I have always loved to read. I’ll admit, I don’t read near as much as I did before I became an author. There just aren’t enough hours in the day. My reading time is limited to the hour before I fall asleep, vacations, and down time like sitting in a doctor’s office. Reading is pure entertainment and an escape I enjoy.

(Lynda Asks:) IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, What would I see out my window?

(Brenda) We get great sunsets and sunrises on the farm. Both are my favorite time of day.

(Lynda) That photo looks like it should be on a cover of a book. Stunning!


Brenda's Website http://www.brendawhiteside.com 



17 comments:

  1. Great post! I feel as if I've just shared a visit to Northern Arizona! Best of luck with your books and this year's growing season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you feel that way, Laura. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. Lovely pictures. Sounds like you have a busy life. I can so relate to the lack of reading time. Best wishes on your books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary. If only there were more hours in the day...

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed the photos and your interview. Best wishes with your new commercial crop this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynda, and all. Got stuck with my farming hat on today when I had to help out at the farmers' market. Thanks for stopping by in spite of my late arrival.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, understand completely. Hope you had a great day at the Market!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Lynda. It's been so great being here too!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the pics, Brenda. You live such an interesting life...and probably learn a lot about selling books from selling pickles and garlic! Rolynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish, Rolynn. Our pickles are eaten and they have to come back for more they're so addictive. I just hope my series can be that addictive!

      Delete
  6. Love the photos. The one with the sunset looked like the sky was on fire.

    Janice~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't it, Janice? Looks photo shopped to me but it wasn't. AZ, and especially the prairie, has magnificent sunsets.

      Delete
  7. Farming in Arizona, not what you would usually think of. I always think of deserts and mountains, and possibly some ranches. Great photos! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Hebby. But we actually have a lot of farming, although not as much as when I was a kid. There used to be tons of cotton farms for one thing. Thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  8. It looks so beautiful where you live. Thanks so much for sharing. I'd love to grow some of my own food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. If you have even a corner of your yard, growing some food isn't as hard as it sounds.

      Delete