Saturday, April 25, 2015

IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS WITH Maria Elena Alonso-Sierra

Good Morning, Maria. It's a pleasure to have you on my blog today and I'm really looking forward to this interview. Please take a moment to introduce yourself and then we'll get started.


 Hi, Lynda! Thanks for hosting me today. Looking forward to an interesting discussion with your readers. My name is Maria Elena Alonso-Sierra, and I write romantic suspense. My first book, The Coin, came out in 2013, and the sequel, The Book of Hours, just came out in February. It is has been quite a ride from beginning novelist to published author, and the thing I like the best is getting to know readers.




(Lynda Asks:) IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Where would I live? 


(Maria)
Ideally (and with a heavy dose of whimsy) I would love to live in a house where my office windows overlooked the Mediterranean and Monaco. Preferably close to the Haute Corniche Road.

(Lynda Asks:) IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Would I speak a different language, dialect, or local slang?

(Maria) Several languages, actually. Sometimes, when I am writing, I can only think of the perfect word for the narration (or the dialogue) in Spanish or French. Sometimes German or Italian intrude, but mostly Spanish and French. It makes for interesting pauses and frustration, since I need the word in English.
 
 (Lynda Asks:) IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, What would I see out my window?

      (Maria)  My own Ambersham.  We named it in honor of our dog.

(Lynda Asks:) IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Do I have any critters that keep me company while writing? 

 
(Maria) Yes, my wonderful mutt, Amber.


     




(Lynda Asks:) IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, If I took a drive in the area I live, what might I see?

(Maria) History.  Beautiful landscapes.  Old buildings.



       (Lynda Asks:) IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Do I let my significant other be my beta reader, if not, who do I let read my work first? 

(Maria) Never.  He is an engineer—critical of minutiae until you want to scream.  Does it with the best intentions.  Love him to death, but no, no beta reading for him.  I do, however, ask him questions about topics on which he is an expert and use that in my writing.

       (Lynda Asks:) IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Are there days I hate writing? 

(Maria) YES!  When nothing comes out of my brain, and I just stare at a page for hours.  Or when you are writing and you know that what you are writing stinks and doesn’t fit the characters or the scene, but you positively plod on because you have to write something.  Eventually, you have to go back and scrap what you wrote or do extensive revisions.

       (Lynda Asks:) IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Would I love doing book signings, personal appearances, etc.? 

(Maria) Love doing it.  Love hearing the enthusiasm of the readers about what you have written.  Enjoy the interaction with the readers and answering their questions.

       (Lynda Asks:) IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, What would most characterize my writing? 

(Maria) Descriptive.  I want the reader to see what I am seeing in my mind, without boring them with too many details.  A balanced blend of action and description usually does it, but it takes effort to put into words what I can visualize.

    (Lynda Asks:) IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Would my writing lean more toward stimulating imagination and thought, or taking-one's-breath-away and pulling heartstrings?

(Maria) I try to do both because they are not really mutually exclusive.  I hope and wish that, once finished, the characters and the narrative will deliver the punches.  It is a rare gift when a reader reacts to all since it is such a personal experience.  But, as a writer, you always try. 


Learn more about Author Maria Elena Alonso-Sierra:

http://www.MariaElenaWrites.com
https://www.facebook.com/MariaElenaAlonsoSierraWrites
https://www.twitter.com/MariaElenaWrite
The Coin: http://amzn.to/1I8Y8Z9

The Book of Hours: http://amzn.to/14kNQbI



No comments:

Post a Comment