I'm having fun doing a series of blogs that I hope my readers will enjoy. I'll share some of my favorite recipes and devise some original writing prompts. Why not try some of both. Get creative, have some fun, and share your thoughts by leaving a comment. You're also invited to post a short example of how you used the writing prompt in the comment area. My first round of posts will use the Alphabet for inspiration. Grab a friend, tell your classmates, inform your writing class, whatever, GET CREATIVE!
(E) Day is about Eggplants.
Here are some interesting facts about this unique vegetable:
(1) Eggplant is high in uric acid, which is the main substance that worsens or aggravates arthritis symptoms.
(2) In Italy, eggplant was called mana insala or crazy apple in English. In many other parts of Europe, people were convinced that eating eggplant caused madness.
(3) The eggplant is high in water content and low in calorific value beside the high fiber content doesn’t let us feel hungry very easily and also increases the metabolism process.
|Photo Credit: Marina Shemesh|
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound tofu—drained, patted dry, and cut into 1-inch cubes
1 medium eggplant cut into 1/2-inch pieces
5 green onions, sliced
1/4 cup diced bell pepper
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 cup Sweet Soy Sauce
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tofu; cook, turning occasionally, until browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove to a plate.
Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to the skillet. Add the eggplant, the white part of the onions, garlic, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook, tossing frequently, until the eggplant is tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
Combine all ingredients with the Sweet Soy Sauce and toss gently until the sauce is well distributed.
Serve with the rice and sprinkle with the basil.
Writing Prompt: Construct a scene including one or all of the following elements.
- On your way home from the market, you enter your building's elevator when six scruffy-looking teenage boys suddenly crowd in beside you.
- If needed, the only possible means of protection you have are the four eggplants and two bunches of parsley in your grocery bag.
- Panic gives way to shock as a voice beside you says, "If you think you can escape, you're mistaken."
Coming Next: (F) Day - Figs and Fallacious Words