Tuesday, May 26, 2015

INTERVIEW with Anita Kidesu

My guest this morning is Author Anita Kidesu.

From the time she was a teenager, Anita would sneak her mother's romances and read them until all hours of the night. She never thought about creating one herself, but fell into it with a few friends. On an over-long road trip, they started talking about their favorite authors and why they like their books. To kill time, they started making up their own characters and plot.

From that point on, Anita had story ideas and characters filling her head. Finally, to shut them up, (or so she thought), she started writing them down, surprised at how erotic her characters turned out to be.

Now, in between being a pharmacist, taking care of her two cats, and spending time with her family and friends, she writes. Her stories are about love and romance on the edge.
Her first book, South Seas Seduction, was release in March of this year.

Thank you for visiting us today and answering a few questions about your writing life and your current work. Here's your first question...

Do you have an critters that keep me company while writing? 
I have a hamster named Digger. He sits on a table next to my couch. He burrows into his shavings whenever the cats come to pester him. One of my cats, Midnight, who is pure white, loves to sit on my lap, paws on the desk, and watch the mouse move around my screen. Sometimes I play with the mouse and he tries to bat at it. I figure it's good exercise for him - at least for his paws.

What would your writing space look like?
 I have a roll-top desk that means a lot to me as it belonged to my grandmother who raised me. On the top is a bobble-head dog that was in her car, along with a statue of Joe Bonamassa, a jazz guitarist that I love. I also have a cup warmer to keep my tea warm while I write.

Do you write better when I'm feeling great or feeling low? 
I don't know if I write better when I'm feeling great, but it's much easier to write. When I'm feeling low and can't figure out why, I make myself sit down and write. I'm amazed how much better I feel. I've realized writing is what my soul needs. It's my passion.

Would you also read a lot, if so, how do I fit that into my schedule and why is it important to me?
 I'm a voracious reader. I read in the bathroom (sorry for that visual), while eating, watching television, or any place I can. I always have a book with me in case I get stuck at one of the train crossing in town. I don't read during my breaks at work because I use that time to write. I guess reading it like writing to me - it feeds my soul. A good book can take me away from my job and the everyday events of life.

What would you tell a beginning writer to never do/always do? 
I would tell a beginning writer to read about the craft. Take workshops. Go to conferences. Talk to other authors. I've found that the majority of authors are willing to help other authors. I know I am.  I would also tell a beginning author to NEVER GIVE UP! Don't let rejection notices get you down. Read them, shed a few tears, and move on. Learn from them. But most of all - NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Would you have preferred to live and write in a different era than the present? 
This is an interesting question. I've gone back and forth on this question. For women, writing in the past, like everything else was frowned on. Many female authors wrote under men's names. I would have found that frustrating. The other thing is, I'm pretty darn sure I wouldn't have liked to write a book long-hand or on a manual typewriter. Computers and the backspace key make life a lot easier. On the other hand, there were a lot less authors in the marketplace in the past competing for readers. Then again, with the internet and social media, it's easier to reach readers today.

What's the best/worst comments you've received from a fan or critic?
 I was surprised and pleased at how many people who read "South Seas Seduction," didn't see the ending coming. Several also said the ending made the cry (happy). The worse was a reviewer who gave me a one because, while they "didn't really read the book," gave me a one because I had too many fives. There are always those people who believe they should be an editor because they 'found a typo in the book." This last one was from a book I wrote under my real name.

Would you be a Pantser or Plotter?
 I am a mix of both. I plot out my characters and have a general idea of where I want the book to go. Then I let the characters take over - they do anyway. Sometimes when I try to make a story go the way I want and the characters don't like it, I get stuck or frustrated, so I just let them take over. Often they have better ideas than I do.


https://www.facebook.com/AnitaKidesuAuthor
http://www.pinterest.com/AnitaKidesu/
http://anitakidesu.wordpress.com/
https://twitter.com/AnitaKidesu



No comments:

Post a Comment