Tuesday, June 2, 2015

IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS with Regina Morris

I want to thank Author Regina Morris for agreeing to do an interview for us today. Regina writes in several categories of the Romance Genre and has published several books to date.

Amazon author page is http://amazon.reginamorris.com

(Lynda Asks:) IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, What's the best/worse comments I've received from a fan or critic?

(Regina) I was told once in an Amazon review that the person enjoyed the story but found too many typos and grammatical errors in my novel. I only had one book published, and I did have it edited by a friend who had editing experience, but I took the critique to heart. I hired another editor to look over my book and she found several mistakes that my friend missed. I also contacted the Amazon reviewer and asked if she wanted to be a proof reader for me. We are still friends today. So never look at a negative critique as someone personally attacking you. Turn the situation into a positive one.

(Lynda Asks:) IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, What would I sincerely feel about editing, and editors? 

(Regina) You would love, love, love them. It takes time to find an editor that you can really work with. Once you find one, you will cherish them like gold.

(Lynda Asks:) IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Do I consider writing a job, a vocation, a hobby, or a passion? 

(Regina) A passion. It's what you want to do when you first wake up and what you will be doing when you are burning the midnight oil. You'll find yourself dreaming of the day when you can quit your day job and just work on your writing.

(Lynda Asks:) IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Would I be writing alone, or do I allow others in my space while writing? 

(Regina)  Alone. Especially if you have kids, you'll want it to be quiet so you can get into the 'zone' and really crank out your novel.

(Lynda Asks:) IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, What things would inspire me? 

(Regina) Other successful authors inspire me because I feel if they can do it, then so can I. Authors who write books that I find sub-par, and yet who are successful, also inspire me because I think that if a book with no story, grammatical errors, and flat characters can make it, then so can my book. I find inspiration for my stories through music and from articles I read on the CNN and Mental Floss websites.

(Lynda Asks:) IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, What are the top five items on my priority list? 

(Regina) A quiet day that you can devote to writing, good self editing tools, a computer that isn't riddled with viruses, your story board laid out in front of you, and either a caffeinated beverage or wine to drink. Having your dogs sleeping at your feet doesn't hurt either. ;-)

(Lynda Asks:) IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Do I belong to any writing groups, if so, why? 

(Regina) Yes. You would belong to many writing groups. Some will be more formal like the national RWA, a local chapter of RWA, or a Writers' League where there are yearly dues and monthly meetings. Others will be a small critique group of friends with whom you meet locally every couple of weeks to work on manuscripts. You will also have writing groups that are completely online that will help you do giveaways, get reviews, and do online parties. There are strength in numbers.

(Lynda Asks:) IF I WERE YOU AND WROTE BOOKS, Would I be a Pantser or Plotter? 

(Regina) This is very personal. Everyone is different. I believe some genres really need to be plotter driven, such as mysteries where you need to know who committed the crime ahead of time. And, I think some genres, like YA or romance, can be pantser driver. Regardless, it's up to each individual and their writing style on how they enjoy writing their novels. For me, I'm a total plotter.

Connect with Regina at the following links:

No comments:

Post a Comment