Wednesday, January 13, 2016

This Writer Loves creating Visual Inspiration through Storyboards on Pinterest


How important are visuals to you when you write? Do you have a storyboard wall or snippet file for all those little clippings you've been hoarding? Do you refer to these visual aids often?

I am inspired by what I see. So story-boarding is essential to my writing process. It's also one of the most enjoyable aspects of getting all the parts and pieces of my story firmly in mind. I keep it simple. I don't outline, make scene cards, or arrange all the elements in story order. Nope! That's way too structured for me. (*smiles precociously)

I'm a 'pantser', which means that my writing style is free-thinking, free-moving, and free from predetermined order. Sounds like a mess doesn't it? But don't be scared, everything comes out in believable sequence in the end.

What I like are visual hints, inspiration, daydream catalysts, and some shock-and-awe therapy. How do I manage to get all this on my desk at one time? By utilizing a visual wonderland called Pinterest. This is where I start story-boarding the elements that  may be included in my finished story. It's fun and totally inspiring. It never fails to jump-start my creative nature. It can introduce the perfect image of the characters in my head, the worlds they inhabit, their likes and dislikes, and the many different moods and motivations needed to move a story forward.

Why not see how this works by viewing the storyboards on my Pinterest Page. You can see the boards for books that have been published, and for books that are in various stages of completion. And notice how my storyboards have grown as I've gotten better at creating them.

Follow ICKY CHIC DESIGNS's board Payback in Wayback - Published on Pinterest.

Some of my readers have said they love watching my storyboards develop because they get an advanced feel for the story, fall in love with the characters, and are intrigued by the mystery even before the book is released. They love seeing if the concept they build through the visual storyboard is close to mine when they finally get the finished book in their hands.

Now it's your turn. Tell us how you like to use storyboards or visual aids.

And if you feel so inclined, please use the social media buttons below to give this a share. 
Thank You So Much



9 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm a Pinterest fan myself, though I'm a plotter, but I love to have a picture board that relates to each of my books and to add to it after it's established. Actually, I could spend all my time on Pinterest and be very happy! I think I've seen some of your awesome boards, too, Lynda. Good blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hebby, I could spend a lot more time on Pinterest also. I never get tired of finding new photos for my boards and, of course, I have to move things around from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fellow Pinterest addict here. *waves* I also use mine for storyboarding, though I do a board for each series. I find everything from settings to clothing, to furniture for rooms, character models, and book cover ideas. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Abigail, Addicted is the best word for Pinterest lovers... It's amazing just how much visual research material a writer can find there. Thanks for your thoughts.

      Delete
  4. I love pinterest, Lynda. But your idea is great and what a collection. My question: How do you move the pins within a board? I know how to move the boards, but not the pins. I want to re-structure within each board, but haven't figured it out. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary, Thank you so much for visiting today. Here is a video that may help you to move pins within a board. It's a little labor intensive, but it does give you some control, especially when your setting up your board to create a mini for posting, since the first few pins are what will be showcased. Hope this helps you.

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_vKnrpjaK8

      Delete
  5. I'm learning Pinterest. It is fun and I have to cut off my time there lol. This is a great idea. I did put up boards to save photos for each of my works-in-progress, but I didn't think anyone else would be looking at them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both readers and other writers like these boards. I know I find a lot of great pins on the boards of other writers, some of which, are ingenious at finding just the right photos. Thanks for visiting today, Barbara.

      Delete