Friday, February 19, 2016

FRIDAY'S REVEAL for Spot-The-Lie-Mondays' Feature

Mr. Einstein may have been correct, but... Fiction Writers develop their skills until they can tell one lie after another with hardly a comma between, weaving together fabrication upon fabrication until a thrilling new story emerges. 

Pit your lie-busting skills against my guest bloggers for this new series, Spot-The-Lie Mondays

The initial post will appear on Mondays and somewhere within this short narrative is a total falsehood, fib, deception. Can you find it? If you think you can, leave a comment as to what you think it is. And if you leave an email address within your comment, I'll send you a small thank you gift just for participating.

Be sure to return on Friday because that's when my Guest Blogger will reveal the lie and provide a unique writing prompt that incorporates the pesky little critter.

Now, I'll turn the page over to my guest, Author K. K. Weil.

Current Release
Website


Writing is often fun and exhilarating, but like any career, it is not without its challenges. For me, one of the biggest challenges often has to do with the topics I choose. I tend to write about sensitive issues. They give me a deeper connection to my work and add a lot of meat to my stories. But handling them can be tricky.

One of my books tackles some of the ways domestic violence affects family members. In another, my main character has a brother with a disability. My current work-in-progress deals with homelessness and mental illness. For all of these, it is very important to me that I portray the subjects the right way. I do a lot of research before starting each of my books. Luckily, information is much easier to come by these days than when I was in school. I used to have to hunch over the encyclopedia and scour through microfiche for hours to find important information. Now, with the whole world at our fingertips, all I have to know is which sites are legit. I still go to the library once in a while to sort through the microfiche, though. It makes me nostalgic.

Once I have all the information I need, the real work begins - figuring out how to use that information in ways that accurately depict the subjects, and are compassionate as well. Something keeps pulling me toward these subjects that need to be handled with care. But I won’t shy away from them. If I did, I’d be writing out of fear and not love, and nothing good can come from that.


Find out more about Author K. K. Weil and her books at the following links: 

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27180597-shatterproof



FRIDAY'S REVEAL

I still go to the library once in a while to sort through the microfiche, though. It makes me nostalgic.

This is my lie. Just typing the word microfiche practically incites a nervous tick in me. My college years were some of my most amazing, but I will forever have nightmares about the articles I read on that torture device. I’d actually rather poke my eyes out than ever look at one of those again.

Writing Prompt Theme:
Microfiche: a flat, clear sheet of microfilm, usually measuring 4 to 6 inches, containing miniature reproductions of articles. Its sole purpose was driving researchers insane.

Writing Prompt:

Society as we know it has been wiped out. A plague threatens to destroy all remaining life forms, unless someone can figure out who caused it and how to cure it. In an effort to get away from populated areas, you stumble upon a very old, dilapidated laboratory. Inside, you find teeny tiny files on clear paper. You hope one of these files will have the answer you’re looking for. You pore over these files until your eyes can’t take anymore. Just as you are about to give up, you make a discovery. But it is not the answer you’ve been looking for. Instead…




6 comments:

  1. Thanks again for having me, Lynda. It's been loads of fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you K.K.
    I really enjoyed your prompt. At least ten different scenarios jumped into my mind. The first was, wouldn't it be problematic if I had been the one to have unknowingly set the disastrous events into motion. Huummm.... This was too much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey K.K.
    I am right there with you - the second I could STOP looking at microfiche, I stopped looking at microfiche!

    Happy Friday!
    DeeDee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I'm late on this, but I had to comment. I agree there is more than one way to make a conflict in a story. The one I'm working on now, the heroine loses her leg in the first few pages and has to learn how to deal with that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a very challenging topic to write about and an interesting one to read!

    ReplyDelete