Friday, April 1, 2016

CAN YOU SPOT THE LIE? Pit your skills with Andrea Downing...


FRIDAY'S SPOT THE LIE REVEAL...
Scroll down to the bottom and see if you guessed correctly.



Mr. Einstein may have been correct, but... Fiction Writers develop their skills until they can tell one lie after another with hardly a comma between, weaving together fabrication upon fabrication until a thrilling new story emerges.

Pit your lie-busting skills against my guest bloggers for this new series, Spot-The-Lie Mondays.


The initial post will appear on Mondays and somewhere within this short narrative is a total falsehood, fib, deception. Can you find it? If you think you can, leave a comment as to what you think it is. 


Be sure to return on Friday when today's guest author, Andrea Downing, will reveal her lie and provide a unique writing prompt that incorporates the pesky little critter.


Andrea, the page is all yours!

Good Morning Everyone. Are you ready to SPOT THE LIE?

I do love writing in my New York apartment. The room serves as both an office/study and my guest room, but its soothing colors and view of Central Park offer the quiet I need to get on with my work. It has a huge oak desk and great closet space, which hides my printer away. There is a comfortable armchair and a convertible sofa bed for guests. Either side of the sofa are bookcases. One has an Encyclopedia with a shelf of travel guides, followed by my grammar book collection for editing and photos of my daughter. The other bookcase has Groves Encyclopedia of Music, followed by my poetry collection and assorted historical books on the west. There are also beaded horses of Native American origin and an antique Guatemalan doll. Photos of my daughter as a baby top the bookcases, as do trolls. The walls have part of my art collection: watercolors by a French artist, macro paintings of perfume bottles and another painting of a girl watching out the window for her lover (one presumes). There is a television on the wall above my desk as well as a flying pig hanging from the ceiling—if you pull the string of the pig, its wings flap. Obviously, my MAC is on the desk along with a telephone and modem and router. Between the windows is an antique wooden stagecoach trunk. There’s a standard lamp in the corner, a desk lamp, a set of rolling drawers under the desk where I have lunch on occasion, and a sisal rug on the floor completes the picture.


FRIDAY'S SPOT THE LIE REVEAL


My lie…is the Flying Pig. I do actually own a flying pig ‘puppet’ that used to hang from the ceiling in my study in London but, alas and alack, I never hung it here in New York, as the room is so much smaller.

WRITING PROMPT: On a night you wouldn’t want your dog to be out in, amidst the crackles of thunder and white flashes of lightening, the doorbell rings. A friend you haven’t seen in six years is standing there, bedraggled and dripping—a sad sight. Naturally, you invite her in, but, to your amazement, she asks to stay the night. You show her into your guestroom somewhat reluctantly since it’s also your office, but as she enters, tired and weak, she bumps her head on your flying pig. As you go to stop the pig from swinging around, there, before you, is a piece of jewelry you lost some time ago….

24 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I'm doubting the view of Central Park. But I'm betting on the beaded horses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you know Friday, Laura, but curious as to why you doubt the vyew!

      Delete
    2. Typing with one hand at the moment due to broken shoulder but want to thank Lynda for having me here this week!

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. I'll try the flying pig. Clever idea, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe...maybe not. Find out Friday!

      Delete
  3. It all sounds completely plausible to me, even the trolls, except for the Encyclopaedia. Not the one for music, but the general one. That's my guess. (I hope it's not the flying pig cuz that sounds adorable.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting...guess you'll find out.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. what has everyone got against a poor ol' flying pig? come back Fri. and find out Hebby!

      Delete
  5. I"ll guess the trolls. I have an original denver bronco's troll doll sitting on my shelves watching over things. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Tena, if you have a troll, why should I?

      Delete
  6. I would say the sets of books on both side of the sofa bed...it sounds like a big room in order to hold all these lovely sounding things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually quite smallish. The bookcases aren't very big--I have more in the living room with all the novels I've read.

      Delete
  7. Boy, this is a stumper but--I'm going to have to go with the trolls. I actually have seen a flying pig like you describe, so...

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry about your shoulder, Andi! On the lie, I'm going with the phone and modem setup. I don't know anyone who uses that system anymore, unless they are way out in the middle of nowhere, not in upper New York. :) I'd love to see your flying pig, though! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, crumbs, Calisa--do you think I still have dial-up internet? NO, I meant I had a landline, and then the modem and router for cable Internet. Sorry 'bout that. Then again, maybe you're right...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hah! I guessed it, I guessed it. It looks like I'm the only one who guess the pig!!! Course, I had a little bit of help from talking with you. Knew you could see Central Park!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Hebby--Ilona actually guessed it before you --so you're both correct. I'd really like to get piggy back up and flying, though--it was fun to pull his string and make him fly whenever I was angry or frustrated!

      Delete
  11. Love the flying pig reference! My day job is at a retailer named Stein Mart and in our gift department we sell flying pigs-the kind you put in your garden. They're very popular. Lol!


    Great post, Andrea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOOOH, sounds like a great idea. I'd love one--will have to look out for them. Can put one in my woods perhaps. Maybe it would scare off the deer?

      Delete