Monday, March 21, 2016

CAN YOU SPOT THE LIE...Test your skill with Author Laura Strickland

Mr. Einstein may have been correct, but... Fiction Writers develop their skills until they can tell one lie after another with hardly a comma between, weaving together fabrication upon fabrication until a thrilling new story emerges. 

Pit your lie-busting skills against my guest bloggers for this new series, Spot-The-Lie Mondays. 

The initial post will appear on Mondays and somewhere within this short narrative is a total falsehood, fib, deception. Can you find it? If you think you can, leave a comment as to what you think it is. And if you leave an email address within your comment, I'll send you a small thank you gift just for participating.

Be sure to return on Friday because that's when Author Zoya Anwar will reveal the lie and provide a unique writing prompt that incorporates the pesky little critter. 


Now, I'll turn the page over to my guest Author Laura Strickland


Promotion Outside the Box

They say a writer will go to almost any lengths to promote his or her book. I don’t know if that’s true but I’ll bet many writers have pushed beyond their comfort zones at book signings or while pitching the idea for a novel to a publisher. I know I have.

What’s the craziest thing I ever did to promote a book? When I began writing Steampunk, I never imagined I’d one day attend a Steampunk festival to promote my novels—in costume! The fact is, I did exactly that last August and took my husband and daughter with me. I wore an elaborate outfit that included an oversized velvet top hat. My daughter dressed up as Clara Allan, the heroine of my Steampunk Romance, “Dead Handsome” and did a reading from the book, thus sparing her introverted mother that harrowing experience. My husband, bless him, went even farther for the cause and dressed as one of my favorite characters from the book, Dax the automaton, and in such guise attracted potential readers for me!

And did it work? Surprisingly well. Visitors to our booth picked up the giveaways I made—my business card threaded with ribbon and an old-fashion metal key. I sold a lot of books and made some new friends. Best of all, we had a wonderful day and garnered stories to tell for weeks. I learned it’s fun outside the box. And maybe I’m not as much of an introvert as I believed!


REMEMBER TO RETURN ON FRIDAY WHEN THE LIE WILL BE REVEALED

Friday’s Reveal:
My husband, bless him, went even farther for the cause and dressed as one of my favorite characters from the book, Dax the automaton, and in such guise attracted potential readers for me!

This is my lie. While my husband did act as my front man, going out and hawking my book at the Festival, he wasn’t dressed as an automaton. Instead he wore a pinstripe vest and trousers, and a flat cap along with a snazzy pocket watch.


LEARN MORE ABOUT AUTHOR LAURA STRICKLAND AND HER WORK AT THE FOLLOWING LINKS:

8 comments:

  1. Maybe the lie is that your husband didn't dress up after all? I know mine wouldn't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Mary, you know our hubbies will do anything for us! Or would they? Be sure and stop by Friday to see if you're right.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a fun time, Laura! Congratulations on the Steampunk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I can't imagine any man--even a great hubby--dressing as Dax the Automaton, so that's my guess. Good luck with the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, interesting guess. But I'm not telling! Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  4. Mary, Barbara, and Andrea, thanks so much for stopping by and commenting on Laura's blog. Didn't she do a really good job of hiding that lie. And this experience made me envious. It sounded like so much fun.

    Laura, you're a great guest and I have to tell you that I'm coveting that outfit. So kooooool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynda, The outfit was FUN--it let me step outside myself. I'm improving upon it for the upcoming festival this summer.

      Delete