Wednesday, March 2, 2016

NECTARINES AND NECKTIES - Recipes and Writing Prompts with Author Jeannie Hall

My Guest today is Author Jeannie Hall. Jeannie has given us a super recipe for a fruit smoothie that sounds scrumptious for those hot summer days that are just around the corner;  and a exciting new writing prompt. Why not try your hand at creating both.

Jeannie Hall lives in the Historical Triangle region of Virginia with her beloved hubby, two spoiled rotten cats, and more books than room. She loves the natural diversity of flora and fauna in both Virginia and her native Arkansas and uses the ocean, forests, and mountains of these areas in her stories. The first of her dark, gritty Cult Wife series has been published as a romantic suspense for The Wild Rose Press.

NECTARINES AND NECKTIES

I grew up surrounded by fresh fruit. My childhood was spent in Arkansas with parents and grandparents who loved to plant massive vegetable gardens and fruit trees. I am also the granddaughter of a Californian farmer, and every few years my family would travel across country to the west coast. Those California trips were filled with time spent in my grandfather’s orange grove, picking fresh oranges right off the trees to juice for breakfast. In Arkansas, I ate many fruits off our trees: apples, plums, peaches, and nectarines. Nectarines hold a special place in my heart. I remember being outside in the warm summer sun biting into the fruit’s tender flesh until juice dripped from my chin. Those happy childhood memories probably lead to my obsession with fruit to this day.
One of my favorite things to do with fruit is juice them, so today I’m going to share a juicing recipe. Juicing has really helped my husband and I improve our health. When we moved to Virginia a few years ago, I had horrible issues with allergies. After juicing, I felt noticeably better, so I’m definitely an advocate of fresh fruit (organic, if possible) juicing. If you don’t have a juicer or want a more economical solution, you can always buy the no sugar added 100% juice at your local store. This is the recipe for a nectarine smoothie. It’s easy to make, healthy, and tastes oh so yummy!

Nectarine Smoothie
Photo Credit - Emilian Robert Vicol
8 cups Nectarine Juice
2 cups plain or vanilla nonfat yogurt
About half a tray of ice cubes
1 whole banana, peeled
Nectarine slices to garnish

Directions: If you’re juicing the nectarines, please be advised that you’ll need a LOT of nectarines to get that much juice – probably 20 to 25. You can always buy the juice or swap it out with another kind if you’d prefer. Mix the juice, yogurt, and banana into your blender. After the mixture becomes smooth, add in the ice a few cubes at a time. Once the ice is mixed in, pour immediately into a pretty glass and garnish. This recipe should fill your blender, so you can either serve 4 to 6 people, or keep the leftover portion covered and in your fridge for later.

Writing Prompt
You come home to find your husband’s favorite necktie lying in the hallway. When you venture into your bedroom, you find the window gaping open and the screen pushed out. Worried now, you call your husband at work, only to have his phone go straight to voicemail. What do you do now?


Visit Jeannie at the following links and learn more about her books:




8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a yummy smoothie! Can't wait to try it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always looking for smoothie recipes. This one sound like a winner. Will have to give it a try! Your reading prompt got the mind to whirling, Intersting. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. A little drooling never hurt anyone, Andrea! Lol

      Delete
  4. I will try the smoothie recipe for my DH and DD and see what they think. I'll hop over to Jeannie's blog and check it out too. Thanks for a great story writing prompt. Your blog has inspired me to start writing in my journal again about my life.
    The first chapter is all about my health. The second will be about life with my 3 siblings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to inspire you to write again! I believe there's no greater gift than to create! Best wishes!

      Delete