Thursday, March 24, 2016

WAFFLES AND WAGON TRAINS with Nancy S Reece


My Guest today is Author Nancy S. Reece. Nancy has given us a super interesting connection with her recipe and writing prompt. Since I love waffles, I just had to try her recipe and it's definitely a keeper, so I can highly recommend you try both. 

Now, I'm turning this page over to Nancy...
A Good Morning to Everyone,

I live in Northwest Georgia, along with three dogs, two cats, one daughter and a darling husband who tolerates the long hours of silence as I write, and also working alongside our son in the family business. The first two books of my fantasy series, The Guardian Stories, are available on both Amazon.com and BN.com. I have a new release coming from The Wild Rose Press later in 2016, Welcome to the Family.


WAFFLES AND WAGON TRAINS


Waffles in my family were a rare, special treat. I grew up in a mixed household; my father was a Yankee and my mother was a Southern Belle. Every meal, except for school day breakfast, was geared around some form of potato. Dad was born and raised on a potato farm that supplied a New York chip maker. It was a rare and special event when there weren’t potatoes, in some form or another, on the dinner table.

I dislike potatoes, a lot. It’s a texture thing, really.

Our special treat was usually corn fritters, or corn pancakes if you will but every so often, when the sun shone just the right way, usually on a Sunday after church, Mom would break out the waffle maker and go to town. Sides included bacon and sausage along with home-made hash browns and stewed peaches. We’d eat till we were stuffed and then retire to the family room for the crossword puzzle and Sunday funny papers.

Another popular side for waffles is fried chicken. While I have never partaken of this delicacy, those who have swear by the combination of sweet and savory. I do enjoy pecans in my waffles, such as those served by Atlanta favorite, Waffle House. While mine never come out as good, it’s the memories of those childhood Sundays that I want to repeat with my own family.


INGREDIENTS SERVINGS 6 UNITS
Photo Credit - Brenden C

1 1⁄2cups all-purpose flour (or use fresh milled whole grain)
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg
1⁄2 cup granulated cane sugar
1 tablespoon granulated cane sugar
2 tablespoons butter, softened
2 tablespoons shortening
1⁄2 cup half and half
1⁄2 cup milk
1⁄4 cup buttermilk
1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla

DIRECTIONS

1. Combine flour, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl and stir to combine.

2. Lightly beat the egg in another medium bowl and combine with sugar, butter, and shortening, mixing well until smooth.

3. Add the half & half, milk, buttermilk and vanilla and mix well.

4. Add the dry flour mixture to the wet mixture while beating and mix until smooth.

5. If you can, cover and chill overnight, though the batter can be used right away.

6. Rub a light coating of vegetable oil on a waffle iron, and preheat it.

7. Leave the batter out of the refrigerator to warm up a bit as your waffle iron is preheating.

8. Spoon 1/3 to 1/2 cup of batter into the waffle iron and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until the waffles are light brown. Add ¼ cup of pecans before closing iron, if you so desire.


WRITING PROMPT:

Weight of the typical Conestoga wagon fully loaded was a serious concern. Take into account everything you would absolutely have to have in order to have a functional household. Now imagine the closest grocery store is three days away, and revise accordingly.

Photo Credit - Robin Hall
Here comes the fun part. In order for a two draft horse, or two oxen, team to pull a wagon across rivers, mountains, desert sands, and everything else westward pioneers took on their voyages to new lands and experiences, the wagon could carry only two thousand pounds of goods and food at a maximum. Oops, there goes the waffle maker.

You are approaching a swollen river, which seems impassable for miles. Some in your group favor pushing forward while other vote for staying put until the water recedes. Many in the wagon train have small children and are overly cautious.

In the distance, a war party of hostile Indians can be seen riding hard and fast in your direction. This is Comanche territory, and they don’t take prisoners.


8 comments:

  1. I'm not a waffle-eater but your recipe sure is temptin' As for those Comanches headed my way, I'd be unloading the wagon with some interesting items that might stop them in their tracks (mirrors? ) and start for that there river crossing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! Waffles are a treat anytime, and try different toppings if you don't like syrup. My daddy would also put sausage gravy on his, instead of biscuits like Southerners.

      As for the Indians...using the old Mel Brooks "send the bad guys to the fake town of Rock Ridge" strategy, eh? Watch out for the crossing, there might be swift currents ahead!

      Thanks for stopping by! (And let me know how the waffle thing turns out!

      Delete
  2. I have a waffle maker and used to love eating them when I was able to pour hot butter over them and top with homemade jam. They are on my Paradise list for sure. Yummy recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm, homemade jam. You have found my weakness. I'm trying to talk my husband into letting me plant a small orchard on our property. Nothing much, just apples, perhaps figs. I think we are too far north for peaches and too far south for cherries. What jams do you love?

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Okay, this blog was not only informative, but now I'm hungry, too. And I'm not even a waffle person. My hubby is. Cute blog, the way you put the two things together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have to admit, when I read the list of available topics, this one just grabbed me from the start. And try these waffles. If you don't like syrup, try jam or sausage gravy on them. My son has even used peanut butter, but that works best on pancakes!

      Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I remember homemade waffles as I was growing up. Delicious. Years later I inherited the old metal wafflemaker. While it's ensconced in my cabinet for happy memories, I had a nifty new one that's much easier to clean. However, I don't do waffles much any more--just when a grandchild comes over and then, I must admit, I use a mix. But this recipe sounds delish. As for the Indians, I'd want to know how many rifles we have on this train and people to shoot them, then I'd want to estimate how many are in that war party. If the odds are not in our favor, I'd have to say let's try that river after all--certain death vs. possible death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to confess, I've used Bisquik more than once through the years with my own children, and some days they certainly preferred Eggo's to home-made. But for special memories you can't beat the fun of family in the kitchen working on something together. Those are the best days.

      As for size, most war parties were small however...

      The Great Raid of 1840, where the war chief Buffalo Hump led warriors deep into southern Texas consisted of as many as 1000 mounted braves.

      Perhaps there might be a way to send the women up or down stream for a better crossing location...?

      Delete