Saturday, April 23, 2016

CATCHING THE LIGHT BULB MOMENT - With Jeannie Hall

Writers often draw from real life experiences, those exceptional moments that bring a plot twist, setting, conflict, resolution, motivation, or characterization into clear focus in a way we never before envisioned. It's an awe inspiring occasion, to say the least. These instances happen at all points in a writer's life and at the most unexpected moments. In this new series of blogs, we'll get a replay of such moments from the writer's personal perspective. 

So let's meet my first guest, Author Jeannie Hall.
Jeannie Hall is a Romance Suspense/Thriller author, hailing from the Southern United States. She uses her experiences growing up in the Deep South and love of nature as backdrops for her books. Jeannie enjoys writing intense and dark plots which twist in unexpected ways around her characters. She believes the best characters come from difficult and sometimes tragic pasts, building them into stronger women and men. 


Jeannie's Light Bulb Moment

My personal light bulb moment was precipitated by a lifelong friend. My best friend since middle school, Tammy Carter Bronson, writes and illustrates her own children’s books as well as YA novels. Before I was published by the fabulous Wild Rose Press, Tammy and I swapped manuscripts. I was having trouble with mine – well, trouble doesn’t even cover it. I had written five hundred words of a single title contemporary romance, and it was going nowhere with a capital N. To give you an idea of how bad it was, I started my story with my heroine attempting suicide. Not exactly a storyline to entice publishers. LOL!

Tammy was kind and didn’t tell me how horrible it was. Instead, she asked if I’d consider turning it
Tammi and I
into a different genre like mystery or suspense. I could keep all my original characters, but instead of having my heroine despairing to the point of a near suicide, I could have her running from the bad guy who haunted her childhood.

What a fabulous idea!

I could make my heroine wounded by her past but not defeated by it. She would be strong, overcoming even the most harrowing of obstacles. And she’d fall in love along the way. Girl power!

It was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. While I had to work hard to complete the massive rewrite of the story, that same novel – my debut – ultimately became the dark romantic suspense, Violation of Faith. I’ve heard so many people tell writers that their first novel will never be fit for publication. That they need to throw it under the bed and consider it a great writing experience but nothing more.

I disagree.

If you’re willing to trash, delete or heavily edit the bad parts – or the parts that don’t work – then there is no reason why your first novel can’t become your first published novel.

I’m living proof.


You Can Visit Jeannie Hall at These Links

Amazon Author Page: http://www.amazon.com/Jeannie-Hall/e/B01BQQMK68/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1?follow-button-add=B01BQQMK68_author&

Review Page: http://www.amazon.com/Violation-Faith-Cult-Wife-Jeannie-ebook/dp/B01B0WIHEM?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&ref_=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_0#customerReviews

Twitter: https://twitter.com/JeannieHallAuth

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JeannieHallAuthor/

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/28699994-violation-of-faith





17 comments:

  1. Great story Jeannie. I hope your book does really well. Girl power indeed!
    Andrea. Http://andreadowning.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Andrea! I wish the same for you! :)

      Delete
  2. The first book I wrote was the third published. No one told me about the rule - thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good thing, Sandra! Sometimes I think it's not always best to know the "rules." Thanks so much for commenting! 😃

      Delete
  3. Jeannie, thank you for being my guest today. Like Sandra, no one told me about the rule of first books either. My first book ended up being my second published work. Go figure. I think our first books are probably the book we're most passionate about. I'd recommend to any writer to never give up on that story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for inviting me back to your blog, Lynda! I know I've been very passionate about my debut. I worked with those characters the longest and love them the most. Thanks again! 😃

      Delete
  4. Hi Jeannie, Excellent post! I enjoyed reading and highly recommend Violation of Faith. I also agree that we should never give up on our first book. Best of luck with sales. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Joanne! I'm thrilled you liked the story and post. First books are like our first loves, and we spend a lot of time either with them or thinking about them. Thanks again! 😃

      Delete
  5. Great post, Jeannie, I'm glad your friend persuaded you to keep on trying! Reading VOF now and loving it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jacquie! I've got THE SHERIFF MEETS HIS MATCH and its next on my to read list! Thanks again! 😃

      Delete
  6. It's amazing what we can accomplish when we don't know the rules! Congrats on persevering and learning an important life's lesson on the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ashantay! At least this life lesson wasn't painful to learn. 😉 Thanks again!

      Delete
  7. Wonderful blog post. My 1st book may be published someday. I haven't feel like slogging back through it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely an individual decision, Angelina. I was just so in love with my characters from that book, I couldn't give them up. If you ever do rework it, I hope to read it! Thanks so much for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  8. I think almost any manuscript can be salvaged, although sometimes it takes years before we figure out what needs to be done. Thanks for a reminder the perseverance is just as important as inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What is the easiest way to have a manuscript published? Is there a certain length minimum?
    What a great friend you have Jeannie. That is a rare find these days. Congrats on getting your first book published. How long did it take you to find the right publisher?

    ReplyDelete