Saturday, July 2, 2016

CATCHING THE LIGHT BULB MOMENT with Author DeeDee Lane

Writers often draw from real life experiences, those exceptional moments that bring a plot twist, setting, conflict, resolution, motivation, or characterization into clear focus in a way we never before envisioned. It's an awe inspiring occasion, to say the least. These instances happen at all points in a writer's life and at the most unexpected moments. In this new series of blogs, we'll get a replay of such moments from the writer's personal perspective. 

Let me introduce my guest today, Author DeeDee Lane. 

DeeDee Lane is a Seattle author and a member of Romance Writers of America. Her mystery scenarios and characters turn up on boat cruises and many corporate and private events around Puget Sound. She and her husband love to go on road trips, especially if there’s time to check out a tinfoil rooster or the largest truck stop in the world. Originally from central Wisconsin, DeeDee was raised on a farm and surrounded with great stories of the West. DeeDee is author of the Slip in Time series including My Mountain Man, My Gambling Man and My Law Man (WWR July 8, 2016).

DeeDee, the page is all yours:
Thank you, Lynda.

During the process of writing MY LAW MAN I was talking with a friend about dreams and life goals. We stirred our coffee with cream, (okay I’ll admit it, and sugar) ate omelets at the Luna Park CafĂ© in West Seattle and shared our dreams realized and dreams not so realized. As we talked, I envisioned a heroine who put her desire for a college degree aside in order to help her boyfriend finish college first. Meanwhile she worked as a waitress in a diner, saved her money to support her true love, and put her dream on hold.

My heroine, now known as Phebe, did not consider this a sacrifice in any way as she focused on her mission to create a loving relationship and family. But then what? Sometimes a light bulb moment comes in a very simple way doing a very simple task. I was making the bed one Saturday and as the sheets billowed over our queen size bed I thought… what if Phebe saw a mound of sheets and it wasn’t just her boyfriend under the sheets but him and another woman? How does Phebe react when her world turns upside down and all she’s worked for over four long years gets overturned in an instant of pulling the sheets aside?

Talk about catching…when these ideas come to me I know to act on it fast… I immediately went to the computer and outlined the first chapter of my novella. Remembering as I did to put Phebe in the action straightaway so the beginning wasn’t bogged down by Phebe’s backstory. At the time I didn’t even think of it as a light bulb moment, I was just grateful to have the all-important first scene down on paper.

Now, as I write my next “happily ever after” I think I’ll weed the garden…maybe there’ll be a light bulb moment hidden amongst the tomato plants. And by the way…as of this writing I am four weeks with NO sugar in my coffee! Small goals accomplished can lead to big ones!

Happy reading (and writing) to all,

DeeDee Lane

Learn more about Author DeeDee Lane at the following links:

DeeDee Lane Amazon Author Page
DeeDee Lane Web Site
DeeDee Lane on Goodreads


11 comments:

  1. Hi Lynda, Thanks for letting me be a part of your amazing book world and fabric world. It is a pleasure to be amongst all this beauty and expression. Best to you, DeeDee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the light bulb moments. And good for you on no sugar in the coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie, Now I have to make sure I actually realize the light bulb moments are light bulb moments!

      Delete
  3. Great post, Dee Dee and welcome to the Garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeannie! I'm so happy to be amongst the ROSES!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on the No Sugar success! Light blub moments are precious. Mine some while I'm driving, of all things! Best of luck with your upcoming release!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara, Do you stop and write them down? I've heard of some authors who keep a tape recorder by their side for those kind of driving discoveries. Thanks for the good wishes!

      Delete
  5. Sometimes they take your breath away, don't they--these light-bulb moments. All the more reason to step away from your writing from time to time and let your subconscious work. Best of Luck with your next release--and all of the ones to come.
    Sorchia's Universe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sorchia, Happy 4th of July and the perfect day to step away from the writing for a bit. Thanks for your good wishes.

      Delete
  6. I'm not a published writer but I am a creative soul that loves making things from old vintage books I find at garage sales and thrift stores. I get those light bulb moments mostly in the early morning before I get out of bed. The brain starts to imagine all sorts of ways a book could be useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing this Marsha. I have a St. Vincent second hand store very close to my house and I love stopping in there to see what treasures I can find. Last week, I made an old fashioned strainer a plant stand... not sure if it works quite yet but it was fun to do. Happy 4th of July!

      Delete